Company Cell phones ?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mikefromny, Aug 18, 2005.

1. mikefromny

mikefromny LawnSite Member

how many of you have cell phones under your business.. and if so which service are you with .. is it a yes or a no to do this ?
    -mike

2. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

i do. got to monitor it closely. had people run up hundreds in bills then quit, so you have to withhold couple weeks pay b4 u give them a phone and not pay last check if they quit till you get bill. make out detail contract and have them sign so you can sue if needed. not all people are like that but when you get one or 2 do it, it hurts. ours are cingular. dont really like company, but unlimited mobile to mobile to cingular phones. have them provide own phone and you pay them $xx a month for portion of biz use.

3. Varsity L&G

Varsity L&G LawnSite Senior Member

If I had an employee and was to get them a cell phone and Suncom was in the area. I would go that route, or get them an unlimited plan. It is not that much with Suncom I have two phones. One is a friends phone he paid a year up front to me for 360.00

Suncom and cingular merged in a lot of area's.

We have the old 49.00 a month unlimited plan no long distance plus 30 per month per line. Will never cancel with them no matter what happens. Have been told by them we are lucky that we have contract that renews for that price and it is cheaper then employee rate per phone.

I would go this route and not worry there are no overage charges and let them use it for personal use as long as it is not during personal hours. Anything else roaming or anonymous charges would come out of there check if it was not work related. You can look on the Suncom/cingular site to check on that info and call detail.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I'm solo but I use the cellphone for my business exclusively (meaning a MINIMUM of personal calls). The cellular is cheaper as it is exempt from those ridiculous high rates the telco charges you - If you operate a landline for a business, expect to pay at least $200 / month per line.
    I do watch it closely, there is a 15-message limit so the messages HAVE to be monitored and pulled off throughout the day thou once/day is usually more than enough.
    That and the phone goes with me in the field, I love it.

5. Varsity L&G

Varsity L&G LawnSite Senior Member

Vonage business is my land line contact. $49 unlimited with free fax line.

6. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

I use Nextel myself. It's real nice to have a cell in the field. Convenient. A simple business plan such as free incoming calls, unlimited walkie-talkie minutes and a thousand or so anytime minutes works for me. Most of the calls are incoming, but the calls I do make are only a few minutes a time to customers or shops. Great deal I think. Plus when you get a few guys working for you, use the walkie-talkie feature and you never need to worry about overages.

7. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

Nextel for me to. :)

8. twindiddy

twindiddy LawnSite Member

you might think of going with pre-pay. that's what we're doing.