1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

company owners without college

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by MowingIL, Nov 25, 2012.

1. MowingIL

MowingIL LawnSite Member

just wondering how many of you legitimate company owners actually have college training and how many of you don't and still own a successful company.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. McFarland_Lawn_Care

McFarland_Lawn_Care LawnSite Bronze Member

No degree, slowly working on a degree in Business but it's taken a back burner lately - too busy.

3. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

Kind of ironic, no time to get a degree in business because you are too busy running a business :laugh:

4. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

College? I just barely got though high school.

5. I have masters in BS
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive got my business degree. I dont think it is a necessity for success but im glad that i did follow through with it. I thoroughly enjoy this business but if it ever comes that i need to change direction i do feel that having my degree will give me more opportunities. Good luck to all.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Past few years I've had a few collage people looking for a job pushing wheelbarrows.

8. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Im one semester from a associates in Horticulture. Just realy hard to balance school and business. Plan to eventually go back and finish my hort degree and possibly get a degree in civil engineering.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

It helps, but not a must....
    I'd get an irrigators or applicators license and a good cpa...and ask lots of questions and spend lots of time reading posts, most all youneed to know can be found in here.
    Make no mistake, it will be tough , but perserverence and lots of sweat will go along way:weightlifter:

10. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

a degree is 100% not necessary...i was going to KU because my parents were willing to pay for my college, but i dropped out because it bothered the hell out of me that college was just delaying what i really wanted to do and i kept thinking once i get a degree, then what? i'll be 4 years older and still in the same place...does a degree hurt you? absolutely not...is it a good idea? yeah probably, but does it actually benefit you? not really

obviously a business degree would help you with the understanding of how to run a business, but you will eventually figure it out anyways, it's really not all that difficult...the difficult stuff goes to the accountant anyways