1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Company Part Time?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by stahlfaust, Jan 26, 2007.

1. stahlfaust

stahlfaust LawnSite Member

Im currently attending college for landscape development, this is my first year. Over the summer ri have to do an internship (at least 40 hours a week). I currently have about 5 clients, and will puck up a few more this spring. I was wondering if I should start the business now (part time business) or just keep doing work under the table?
  2. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Is it really "under the table" if you're posting it on a PUBLIC forum? lol duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude
  3. stahlfaust

what i mean to say is should I go through with registering as a buisness and getting insurance or should I just do what Ive been doing and claim it as supplemental income on my taxes?
  4. goodgreen

goodgreen LawnSite Senior Member

Do it right - from the start. As it continues to grow, you'll be glad you did.
  5. stahlfaust

so whats the bare miniumum i have to do to become legit part time? How much will this cost me? I live in NY
  6. mgmlandscaping

mgmlandscaping LawnSite Member

I would suggest going to a CPA for some answers first. He will tell you what you need to know.
  7. stahlfaust

how much would that cost me? Currently I am going to be broke when tax season comes, all my savings are going to the state.
  8. mgmlandscaping

mgmlandscaping LawnSite Member

You should be able to talk to a CPA free of charge for a consulation just call first. You will be able to get your answers within the first few minutes of your conversation. It is not cheap to start your business. But trust me, dealing with the IRS is not cheap either. Not trying to scare you just to open your eyes....
  9. hollywoodjoe

hollywoodjoe LawnSite Member

In so california people would laugh at you if you had a license and paid taxes.youre prices would not compete with 5 million illegals driving unlicensed 84 toyotas cutting lawns for 10 bucks an hour.Its about survival baby and feeding your family.Coming soon to a town in rural America.So cal has been deystroyed by this wave of cheap labor.
  10. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Register for your FEIN and get liability insurance it doesn't cost much to do either. FEIN is free its just your business ID # for employees and taxes but you dont need to have employees. Work part time for now and when you graduate buy what you need and advertise and start making money.