company truck

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by greenmonster304, Mar 10, 2013.

1. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

I would think that being a commercial vehicle and property of the business, anything that happens is considered to be work related.

Any accident would be attributed to the business, regardless.

I had 1 wreck during work hrs. A woman stopped short and i hit her. Cops never asked once if i was on the clock or on personal time.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

We've had one accident where a drunk driver hit my employee in the work truck at about 7:00 pm. My guy was on his way home after a late work day. Cops never asked if on the clock, but insurance company did. The drunk's insurance took care of it though.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. BPS##

BPS## LawnSite Senior Member
    from WY

As they should have. It was his fault.

What if your employee hit some one headed home?
    Is your insurance or his going to cover it?

Up until yesterday I'd never heard of an employee's personal insurance covering him in a wreck in a company truck.
    On or off duty.

4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Mine would cover him. He is on the clock from time he leaves house, to the time he gets back home.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. GreenI.A.

GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member

it had already been tested for us, one of my guys caused an accident during personal use. He was using the truck to run some errands on a sunday and rear ended another car. The police report had all of our commercial information on it. And my commercial policy covered it initially but then they were reimbursed by his own person auto insurance company. My rates did not go up, his did. Now had the accident happened when he was puling out of his driveway on monday morning heading to the first job, that would be different, that would be on me.

6. RhettMan

RhettMan LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

geico.jpeg

7. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

If i understood the previous posts, pulling in or out of his driveway would be personal use.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. BPS##

BPS## LawnSite Senior Member
    from WY

You certainly have a different insurance set up than any thing I've ever heard about from my agent.
    Must have to do with state laws.