company web site

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ajmctree, Feb 20, 2005.

1. ajmctree

ajmctree LawnSite Member

Just curious as to how many have web sites for thier companies.
    I live and work in a town of about 11000 people and am not sure if theres value to it for the amount of cost .

would like some input or comments on companies that do .

Thanks
    Ajmctree

2. turfsurfer

turfsurfer LawnSite Senior Member

In a town of 11000 it may not justify the cost unless you do most of the work yourself. Check out one of the sponsors, Gopher software. They have some real nice free templates that you can modify and use. Plenty of info on here if you search. In your town, having a website might really set you apart. Keep in mind that it can take awhile to make the big search engines.

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I had a website for about 5 years, and I found it was a waste and I live in a city about half your size. I finally got rid of it last year, just wasn't worth the money I feel.

4. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

Tiedeman, what did you pay a year or a month? Were you responsible for updating it? I'm not real sure how these things work. Could you explain a little more indepth?

5. JRAZ

JRAZ LawnSite Member
    from NW

If you live in a small town aren't there other small towns next to you or are you all out in the boonies? Reason being, you can attract other accounts in nearby areas, or get the big install jobs you want that may be one town over or what not. I have a website and think any serious business would be wise to have one. I did my website myself for the cost of sofware (90.00 or so), website hosting (96.00 per year). I find this rather affordable. If you are unable to do yourself may be you can barter with someone that can do it for you?

~ J

6. ajmctree

ajmctree LawnSite Member

In reality we do live some what in the boondocks ,theres one way in and one way out .The next cloesest town is 45 minutes away and unless you could get alot of work it probably wouldn't be worth trying out that market .
    So far i haven't realy started looking at all the costs associated with building and maintaning a web site yet but i know it is coming.

AJ

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I service in an area of approx 10 mile radius. Basically very small cities. I service approx 3 cities, with about 6,000 or less people per city.

I had the site through Verisign. I paid $24.95 per month for 10 pages, and I could update it whenever I wanted to, and what I wanted it to be. I also paid for a search engine. The problem that I run into, yes some people used, but it was really my current customers that used it. I would have company info, certifications, newsletters, discounts, promotions, links, pictures, schedules, weather information, tips, latest industry news, etc.

I went as far as testing loading time, to make sure customers wouldn't be waiting forever for it to load on both dial up and DSL, all links worked, pictures were updated all the time so the same pictures were never there, tested it with friends and family to see their reaction was. Basically I covered all of my bases. I updated the website approx every 2 days. Complete waste of time I feel.

I even sent surveys out to current customers, and only 1% of my customers used the site. Even when I would get new customers I would ask them if they saw the site, and the same response, less than 1% of them had saw it or used or had internet connection.

I just felt that it was a complete waste of time and money so I shut it down. But before I shut it down, I had an online survey and also sent out another survey to customers to ask whether they would miss the site or not, and nobody responsed at all. That tells me that it was a 100% go to shut it down.

8. JRAZ

JRAZ LawnSite Member
    from NW

AJ -

You up in the Charlottes? Prince George or Rupert area? My wife was born in the Charlottes and we visit there every now and again. Absolutely beautiful up there.

~ J

9. ajmctree

ajmctree LawnSite Member

J
    I'M in Kitimat about 45 minutes south of terrace .
    Your right this is beautifull country up here ,
    I havent yet been to the Queen Charlotes ,have lots of friends that go deer hunting there .It's a shame that when we go on hollidays we'll go any where but travel the northwest..Oh Well

AJ

10. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

as a web guy, the following are words i rarely use: unless you want a site to act as a brochure prospective customers can look at based on the address placed in your advertising, you might not want to hassle with it. the size of your market is so small that conventional advertising (newspaper, phonebook, flyers/doorhangers/mailings) will probably prove to be better at generating leads. the suburb i grew up in is about that size, so if i were to only target that population, i'd probably not go with a site that i've taken the time to properly market to people who've never heard of my business. search engine optimization and paid search engine placement really don't seem to fit the bill for what you would want, so at most i'd put up a site to showcase your work.

tony