comparable to case 1840?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by cutnchukcanuk, Jun 16, 2007.

1. cutnchukcanuk

cutnchukcanuk LawnSite Member

From what I have read (no real life experience) the case 1840 is a well respected machine. Are there any machines that you would consider comparable in terms of reliability, ability, etc... I don't need high performance, just a quailty machine! Thanks

Chad

2. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I have owned I think 6 1840s. Good machines, my only issue was some I had some with high flow and the routing left something to be desired and I would frequently replace rub damaged hoses. Other than that pretty tough machines. Not as refined as current machines but very reliable and durable.

3. cutnchukcanuk

Thanks again ksss. 6-1840's wow. Your advice and experience is appreciated. I am sure the newer refinements are great but might be a waste on someone like myself who doesn't know what he is doing. Everone gotta learn sometime. This site is invaluable to newbie's like myself.

4. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

The 1840/1845's are nice, durable machines. We have a low hour 1845C that all we've done repair wise is tire and battery replacement.

One of my biggest gripes with our Case equipment is their hose routing. I've had to replace way too many hoses that wore too quick due to rubbing against something with no protection around the hose. The best thing to do is check all your hoses, and any that have wear spots on them, wrap something around the hose to protect it. I use canvas or a bigger rubber hose, and cut it with a razor to open it up, and then I use zip ties to hold it on. It will save you a lot of unnecessary breakdowns.

Off topic, but I saw a 1845C listed in a trader, and it said it had the Perkins engine?:confused: We have the Case/Cummins in ours. I thought they all had the same engine. Is that a misprint?

5. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

Had one this winter, loaded salt with it. Very good starting rig, easy to use but as others mentioned maybe not as refined as some of the newer iron but the price is certainly better. From my experience I would not hesitate to buy another.

6. ProLandscapes

ProLandscapes LawnSite Member

I had one for 8 years and it is a very reliable machine. All we ever did to it was change the fluids, tires and two battery. They are a very tough machine, I would trust one hands down. After buying my Takeuchi TL130 though I wouldn't go back to an older machine unless I had absolutely had to. It's nice sitting in a cab in the pouring freezing rain and being nice and warm or it's 105 degrees outside and dusty but it's nice and cool inside the machine.

7. cutnchukcanuk

Thanks for the responses guys! I picked an 1840 yesterday and just got home this morning. It was worth the nine hour drive. The down side was I got some incorrect info. from Canadian Border services before I left and got nailed with a 2000.00 surprise tax bill coming home this morning. @&^%$& government! That sure puts some sting into the deal. Anyhow I came home with a nice 1994 case 1840 on a 16' Big T trailer. Unit has 441 original hours and very few scratches. Includes Heated cab. Was owned by a farmer to clean the barn and such. With time and practice I might just become a competent operator. Did I mention @$^%$& government? Dozerman21 I will watch for that hose issue. Thanks!

Chad

8. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

may I ask how much?

9. cutnchukcanuk

It worked out to 13,500.00 US. 1500.00 better than what he wanted but I came with a certifired check and cash in hand so that may have helped a little. I don't think I got a steal of a deal by any means, but beyond a few scratches it seems mint (knock on wood!). There are no leaks, the engine looks as new, not a crack in the seat. The shocks that hold the rear window need replacing, that's about it The unit was well greased and you could tell that the owner believed in doing his maintainence. The trailer is 16 years old but decent. After 500 miles the hubs weren't even warm.I would rather pay a little more for a unit like this than get a deal on a newer unit that has been bagged. Having basically no experience in the operation of these machines with the exception of a 40 certification course I took, I feel this machine will be good to learn the basics. I should mention that this price does not include the need for my goverenment to apply two taxes (not duty) to a used machine that is American made and is for basically personal use. That soured things a bit for me since I did my due dilligence and checked ahead. what I didn't factor in was the dumb broad whom doesn't know her arse from a hole in the ground. My girlfriend is tired of my bi$%hing so I thought I would blast it into cyberspace. Other than that I am happy with my purchase (still knocking)

Chad

10. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

Congrats, Chad! It sounds like you at least got a fair deal, if not better (except for the B.S. taxes, of course). Hopefully the trailer tires are descent. Those little dudes can be expensive! Even though the trailer might be old, a sandblast, paint, and a new deck can do wonders.

Enjoy your new toy!:clapping: :usflag: