compare measuring wheels?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Jacey, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Jacey

Jacey LawnSite Member

My old wheel finally cratered and I am online looking at all the replacement possibilities. Prices range from $30.00 up. Anybody know why I can't go cheep or is there a mid range around 60.00 that would be a quality deal. I think I paid around that 25 years ago! Anyway, any help much appreciated!

2. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

I have gone through 6-7 measuring wheel's in the last 25 year's. If you use one regularly they just don't last. The plastic one's break. The small wheel one's aren't meant for rough ground. The best one i have found is the keson MP401 - http://www.keson.com/default.aspx

3. The Garmin e-trex Vista is on sale for $99. It has "area calculator" where you just walk around the preimiter of a yard and push the button for "area" in square feet.

I've got two all aluminum measuring wheels that must have cost $300 new. I've never used them since I got the Garmin. And I paid over $300 for my Garmin!

4. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

So what vista unit are you talking about exactly? I found a lot of different one's. I can see using something like that. Are they 100% accurate? Sorry for so many question's. I know nothing about those GPS unit's.

5. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

I have found that the GPS units are very inaccurate. I use a digiroller plus. Works well for me, and I don't have to write anything down. parts are easy to buy direct from manufacturer. Ive had mine for a long time.

I can even measure an area and it will calculate depth of mulch and tell me how many cubic yards I need.

6. bobcat48

bobcat48 LawnSite Gold Member

I use a cheaper one got it at harbor freight lol but it's not used much when sodding and stuff like that.

7. ArenaLandscaping

ArenaLandscaping LawnSite Member

8. GPS can be accurate down to a fraction of a square inch. Surveyors use them. They can get interferance from overhanging trees, tall buildings etc. The error is usually quite obvious.
    It takes a little practice to get used to them. For instance, you can't just hang them from the lanyard around your neck and let them swing back and forth around your neck, because they'll measure every little zig-zag and add that to the calculation.

I have the Garmin e-trex Vista. It's still on the market though it's relatively outdated with a small black & white screen. That's why it's now only a hundred bucks. It has everything an LCO needs with the area calculations. Plus it fits in your pocket and it's waterproof. It's no more difficult to learn to operate than a cell phone, and a lot easier than a smart phone.

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

You will never get that kind of accuracy from a consumer grade unit.

10. True, but it'll be so accurate you'll think you're a surveyor. You can't get this accurate without survey equipment. A transit & engineers chain.
    GPS measurement is more accurate than you'll ever need for lawn care. It'll give you your speed in tenths of miles-per-hour. That's ten times more accurate than the speedometer on your truck.

It's cheap as a good measuring wheel, easy to use, and fits in your pocket.
    And it'll give you the square footage calculations of the turf area of a property, which you can't get any other way. Even with a survey of the property you'd have to guess the areas not sod like the buildings, driveway and the creek you don't mow.