Compare Mini Fastrak to Fastrak

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by miscon, Jul 20, 2004.

1. miscon

miscon LawnSite Member
    from ks

I'm buying a one of these two in the next couple of days. Could someone give me a quick technicial comparison. I know their is a difference between the etz and itz. But is this a bad thing?? I'm looking at similar Honda engines and deck widths.

I demoed a Fastrak 18HP Honda w/ 44" deck. Will there be any big differences with the Mini Fastrak 16HP Honda w/42" deck???

Doug

2. Dagoose

Dagoose LawnSite Member
    from NY

How much grass are you mowing?

3. deer66

deer66 LawnSite Member

I am looking at the exact same units you are looking at and trying to make my mind up . What type of pricing are you getting quoted? I am mowing about 2 acres . I have riden both of them and the Fastrac seems a bit nicer , but I dont know if it is $750 nicer .

My quotes are

Mini 17 hp 42" deck is $ 3495 , with no armrests.
    Fastrac 18 Honda 44" is $4199 with no arm rests .

Could you please let me know what type of pricing you are getting .

Thanks

4. miscon

miscon LawnSite Member
    from ks

About 2 acres.

I'm down to this:

17hp Kohler 42" Mini Fastrack $3500
    18hp Honda 44" Fastrack Demo 60hrs $4200
    Same 44" Fastrack - New $4400

I have no objection to the any of the machines. No gates to be concerned about. Just want a good reliable machine that will last for years. Is there a compelling reason to spend an extra $700-900 just to satisfy my ego??

5. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Your dealer is giving you some real good pricing on the demo 44" with the Honda V-Twin.
    For the added $'s I would seriously look into the Honda, you are going to get a v-twin instead of a single cylinder engine with the Kohler.
    Both are great units.

Pj

6. deer66

deer66 LawnSite Member

I went to my dealer today and looked at the Mini Fastrac and the regular fastrac . I have to say I am probably going with the regular fastrac , just because of the size . I am 6"2 and 245 lbs , and the Mini does not seem big enough for me . also I like the fact of the honda motor and the extra wheels it has on the deck . One thing I have also figured out is that I have been trying a Mini fastrac that is a 36" deck and I have just now realized that the tire to tire width is 2.25 inches wider on the 42" mower . My question to the Mowerconsultant is " Is the actual width of the frame 2.25 wider or is that just the wheel base that is wider " (I guess my question is is the seating area 2.25 inches wider ). Also the overall length is 1.5 " longer is this in the seating area .

Thanks
    Don

7. Dagoose

Dagoose LawnSite Member
    from NY

I'd go with the 18hp Fastrak since you have more than an acre. That way you won't ever have any regrets.

It's a great mower!

8. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

The width is going to be wheel width.. we needed to get them out wider on the 42" unit.
    The lenght... That is going to be up front, as in leg room, due do the offset on the 42" deck we needed to lengthen the unit, and offset the front wheels for the blade alignment.

Pj

9. miscon

miscon LawnSite Member
    from ks

FYI,

I ended up with a great deal and a great mower. I bought a Fastrak 20/52. Love it. Watch the slippery inclines. Less than an hour on the machine I was mowing our lagoon and the left rear wheel slipped in to the muck:( . Had to pull it out with my Subruban! Danged rookie drivers.

Thanks for all the help.

10. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Congrats on the new mower!
    You need to be very careful mowing inclines.
    Check your tire pressure and make sure it is with the recommendations in the owners manual, this will help give you the best traction possible.

Pj