Compare the Standers.. John Deere, Wright and Great Dane

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SCAPEASAURUSREX, Aug 18, 2003.

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

I am getting ready for a new machine and cant really decide what I want or need... I would like a 36" hydro , but cant justify it for the 5 or 6 lawns I need it on... I really need something bigger like a 52" machine... Would love a Z but dont think it's all that appropriate at this point ?? Looked at standers.. Seem to be the best of both worlds.... BUt my concern is the large non floating deck ?? Also, only one available near by is the Wright, which looks awsome. Have not demoed yet, but will... But I want to know who is using them and what they think compared to other standers, Like JD makes one that has a floating deck, and then Great Dane, But after doing a search dont see good info on the GD's , and Nothing on the JD's ...... Anybody ?????
  2. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

From threads here, I believe the JDs are simply GDs painted green?? There are threads here with direct comparisons between the 2 (Wright & GD), with posts by people who had owned or used both. I have only tried the Stander so I can't compare, except many comments here helped lead me to choose that one over the GD. Demo both of them on your lawns & then you can have more ammo to help you with the decision. Good luck!
  3. mowdini

mowdini LawnSite Member

John Deere bought Great Dane a couple of years ago from Dane Scag. They are essentially the same machine. One of the biggest differences, in my opinion, is the wheel base of the two machines. The Stander has a much shorter wheelbase while the Great Dane/John Deere has a much longer wheelbase. What this translates to in day to day operation is that the Stander is much easier to get up trailers, curbs, etc. It doesn't hit bottom like the Great Dane/John Deere will do. In other words sometimes the Great Dane Surfers get hung up on a trailer or curb. The Stander is built much better, has more quality features, is faster and in my opinion just does a better job cutting.
  4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I test drove a JD stander last year. Did cut with it, just drove it. IMO I dd not care for it. Mainly the had controls. They were just spread too far apart for my hands and there was no way of adjusting it.

5. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

Wright Sentar;52" deck is a floater.So far I've put 120 hrs. on mine with no problems.Why stand when you can sit? I don't think they are that much more in price than a stander.Now you have a stander and a sit down ztr all in one.
  6. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

The Great Dane now comes with a floating deck :)
  7. teamgeo

teamgeo LawnSite Member

just bought a 36" wright stander.what sold me was the ease of oil changes,ease of adjusting hydro and the fact that it was a promo from wright.the guys love it!!i also trded a 36" toro with a proline deck towards it.mfrp was 5350, then it was promo priced at 4350 and i got 1350 for my toro, so for 3000 i thought it was a deal.
  8. b & t lawn care

b & t lawn care LawnSite Member

You need to chech out the differents in the hydros , an the blade speed ,an how well each is built you will see the different, as to j.d g.d
  9. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I have a GD 52 surfer, and they are a joke to get parts for. Multiple dealers out of something as basic as blade belts, for days on end. Finally there are aftermarket places that are stocking the parts now, but you cant depend on the dealers. If you plan on keeping it for a while, better think about how available parts are going to be once its not new anymore.
  10. KLMlawn

KLMlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Why choose to follow when you can be a leader ...
    As I have said many times before ... Wright Standers and Sentars all the way ...:D