compare ztr's

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Bare30, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Bare30

Bare30 LawnSite Member

I have been mowing a clinic in the town where I live for the past 10 years, recently I was approached by hospital director to take on the clinic and hospital about 20 minutes down the road. It is a large facility and I,m pretty sure I underbid it, but they pay me the same amount year-round. That being said I need a commercial mower. I have used a Craftsman 42" and finishing up until now. My brother in law has an Exmark lazerz Hp 48",19 Horse Kaw,and my buddy uses a Scag cub 48" 24 Horse Briggs, They both love there mowers but I need more opinions before $6000 is gone and wish I had the other one. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!! I am new to this site, not new to lawn care.

2. CuttersEdgeks

CuttersEdgeks LawnSite Member

people mainly use Dixon, Walker and Dixie chopper around here. I have e dixon and will be getting a chopper for more speed.

3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Hello, yet another Hutchinson person on here! As for the "top mowers" I see here it's Walker, Dixon, Grasshopper, and then all the rest. Not saying that thats what's the best, just the top 3 used in this area.

As for pickig a mower for yourself. Demo Demo Demo. Find a good dealer that is close to you and that offers good service, Then see what brands he sells. IMO, many of the better commercial mowers on the market will all work but it's up to you to know what things you like and dislike about each one. Also, what works great for some people may not work well for others...

4. Kid With A Mower

Kid With A Mower LawnSite Member

Welcome to the site bare30. There all good mowers, it up to you're personal preference. However my personal recommendation would be Exmark wb's and Scag riders. I would look at the Scag tiger cub, they go for around $6000. Also look at Wright mowers.

5. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

yeah, test drve them and cut their grass and compare. you cant go wrong with either a scag or an exmark!

6. Bare30

Bare30 LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the help fellows!!! Not real sure how to take the Hutchinson comment??? but Thanks for all the help!!

7. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

Both are great mowers, ask them about there dealer support this may help you make up your mind. also try and demo both.

8. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I'm guessing you're going to spend more than 6K on either of those mowers you listed...

Both are good machines, and it will come down to which dealer you like better.

I would add that it's not very practical or smart to purchase a Z for simply one account.

9. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Hey dude -- it's all about size of property (need more info), but if you're talkin' zero-turn ride-on mowers, I like Toro, Exmark, John Deere, Skag, and more.

10. TandM

TandM LawnSite Senior Member
    from south

go get yourself a scag they cut so nice