Comparing Notes/Pricing/Work

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Meier, Aug 16, 2003.

1. Meier

Meier LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

Team Gopher,

Thanks. Interesting read. Green in Idaho appears to be confused about capital expenses vs operating expenses on that thread. Perhaps combined, they do eat up 50% of gross each year, but I don't see how they could. Assets like trucks should last a while.

To be perfectly honest, my operating expenses have so far eaten up about 65% of my gross this year. But most of those expenses are flat expenses that will be the same whether I'm working 80 hours a week or zero hours a week. I've also done a lot of non-mowing work this year because I'm starving (sod, landscape design & installs, etc), which have a much higher cost of goods sold than does mowing. My cost of goods sold for mowing has been less than 2% so far this year, but that figure doesn't include fuel for the truck.

I was really hoping to compare notes with others. Guess no one else is gonna tell me how much they gross in a full day, how many crew members, how many lawns they get done in a full day and how much they pay their crews.

That's fine. I understand the question is a bit nosey.

Later,
    DFW, TX