1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Comparing Scag to Everride's deck. Both tunnel deck's?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HenryB, Sep 24, 2007.

1. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

Looking at these decks side by side they have one obvious thing in common;a lot of space between the blades and leading edge of the deck. Making for a cleaner cut but longer dispersed clippings. Soooooooo is their cut very similar and are they both cosidered tunnel decks?
  2. T Total Lawncare

T Total Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from The deep south

No there not the same, Scag does not use a tunnel. Scag is a conventional deck and the everride is a tunnel deck. The distance between the blade tip and the leading edge of the deck does not constitute it being a tunnel . A tunnel will have a deep chamber across the front of the deck. If you were looking exactly from the side you would notice a hump or a deeper chamber at the front of the deck. The Scag decks are level across the nose end therefore conventional. As far as the cut you would have to try them both to determine what you like better for your area and what kinda cutting your doing. I know nothing about everride but I have used Scag and really like them.
  3. tonirone

tonirone LawnSite Member

The purpose of the gap between the blade and the leading edge of the deck is to allow time for the grass to stand back up after the front of the deck has pushed it over before the blades hit it, particularly bahia grass, the tall stringy stuff that most decks leave standing the first cut. However, scags deck (velocity plus) has an air baffle at the front leading edge creating more air flow to stand the grass up for a more uniform cleaner cut. In my opinion the scag has a superior cut to most mowers excepy maybe walker. Scag best all around versital mower for all cutting conditions. Even with the longer clippings, scag does such a goog job dispersing them, you don't see them on top of the ground, they fall in the grass. Thats why they use such large discharge opening. The everride is a faster more comfortable mower.
  4. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

A downside to tunnel decks is you can' mulch if you wanted to.
  5. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

We tried the Scag and liked it. I bought 5 Everride Warriors though....
    The Everride has been very reliable for us. Mows nicely...built like a tank....
    excellent dealer support here when needed (which we really haven't needed).
    I really like the space the design gives you to service the unit. So far...knock and wood and 3 years of good service...the Everride has been a good decision.
    Just my 2 cents...after spending a ton!!!
  6. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

How many hours have you put on them?
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I've got 80-85 on mine, getting ready to take it back out soon as I save this :)

I like it because of the big chute opening, but as far as the tunnel design?
    It would appear to cut better than Toro's turbocrap, but on pavement it does nothing in the way of cleanup, I've always been able to use my Toro Wb to literally blow the driveway clean of clippings with just the wind from the chute, the Everride hardly does anything, strange because it sure flings clippings good otherwise.

I myself have always been a fan of super high lifts, seems the only blades I can find for the Everride are some sort of low-end hi lift, they work but not like the high lifts I'm used to, even these bs blades are hard to find, most Everride blades are lo lift only...

Regardless, that bad boy can take on some tall grass, it almost never chokes on the stuff, and I'm talking foot tall thick stuff, what do you guys call this stuff I call horse pasture, oh yeah bahia :laugh:
    This stuff anyway:

So a fine machine in most every way, I have little to no complaints.
  8. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I have used both Scag and Everride. The everride leaves a mess whenever you back up with it, even over cut grass. It doesn't blow as much air either like Topsites said. The clippings that come out of it aren't finely cut like the scags, it is like the grass was cut with scissors and just thrown out, so if your cutting very tall grass, you might have to double or even triple cut to make the clippings disappear. It does cut well though, it would be perfect for cutting tall grass, like on large commerical properties.... or vacant lots, etc....

The Everride also has some interesting design features such as how the parking brake works and it comes standard with stuff like a suspension seat, etc....

I just didn't like the way the deck cut, it would be great for large commerical properties, but not as good for smaller residential properties.
  9. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Is Everide and old company? New upstart? I just never heard of them till they started being a sponsor at Lawnsite. Just looking for a little info or history on the company. Most that own them seem to like them. I watched a video on them and they seem very quick and maneuverable.
  10. T Total Lawncare

T Total Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from The deep south

They and Great Dane are owned by Auburn consolidated. Don't know that much more about there history than that.