1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Comparing Turf Tracers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnworker, Feb 2, 2003.

1. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

I need some advice; I am looking to upgrade my cutting units. The Exmark Turf Tracers with ECS have caught my eye. My specific questions are directed to experienced users only. Of the two types HP and the reguler Tracer what are the strengths and weaknesses of each. Also, with the ECS system how do you handle raising the front up while on a sulky? is this even a issue with the floating deck? Is the ECS system really all that Exmark says that it is as far as comfort goes.

Also, what should one expect to pay,at a good deal rate, for each unit. I am looking at the 52" model of each type.

Thanks for all advice given.
  2. Lake'Lawn Care

Lake'Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I own a 2001 exmark viking hydro. It has the 15hp kaw and a 48 inch deck. It came with the traditional pistol grips. I like the pistol grips for pushing down and raising the deck. It allows me to avoid potential hazerdous objects, and also allows me to raise the deck and mulch down a pile of leaves in the fall. I recently vistited a local exmark dealer and tried pushing down on the handles with the ecs system and it seemed like it would be a problem. It put an akward (sp?) stress on my wrists. The ecs was comfortable as far as inside hand placement. You should demo each of them and think about your purchase before you make it. I'm looking at the turf tracer with the 60 inch deck this season and will have to make the same decision you will. As far as turf tracer vs. turf tracer hp, the hp only comes with a maximum 17hp engine. You need to decide how much horsepower you want. The turf tracer comes with a 20 or 23 hp engine. What deck size do you want. If you want more horsepower with a 48 inch deck you may want to look at the hustler walk behind. I think their new superwalkbehind has a 48 inch deck matched up with a 23hp engine. Last of all, consider the local dealer who is close to you, offers good service, and will treat you well. Also, ask if they have a zero down time program. I pay a 150.00 annual fee and If one of my mowers goes down, they will lend me a demo while they fix it.
    Take Care, Corey-Lake's Lawn Care
  3. Turf Tracer;

23hp Kohlers or kaw

electric clutch

hour meter

wider tires

wider stance

deeper deck

castor yoke now have bearings

electric start

About $6k with tax

17hp max

electric start(option only on 17hp kaw 52" deck)

About $5,200 with tax.

I found the ECS to be a little harder to raise the front but you get used to it.

Lake'Lawn Care cannot get a 60" HP.
  4. Sam-Ohio

Sam-Ohio LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

The Exmark is a pain in the wrists to jump curbing with.

If you want to see who solved this problem - go to the sponsers at the top of the page and click on Gravely - then on the walk behind Icon - then on PRO STEER mower. Look under exclusive features for the PRO STEER model and you can see how the Gravely engineers built a control handle "stirip" that lets you push down on the rear of the handlebar to lift the mower deck up, and at the same time your fingers can grip these stirips to engage the drive and power up over the curb.
    You can pull back on the Gravely cross handle bar too - if the unit needs some help backing up out of a ditch or hole.

Too bad Gravely is only doing this handle bar system on a couple of models - cause it sure is a big improvement over the Exmark system.
  5. You say so, Looks like a Toro.

I just let my hydro mowers back up the curb, never had a problem.
  6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

The Pro-Steer controls are awsome! Nothing like a toro at all. They have the best control system I've seen. It controls just like Z. Push forward to go, let go to stop.

Too bad they only put them on the belt drive. But the controls are so nice and the reverse works so good that I'm still considering it. The reverse is steerable and unstopable.
  7. And that's nothing like a Toro?

Sounds and looks similar to me.
  8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Twin sticks like rider, look closely...

9. And how much different are the two "levers" than the toro "t bar"?

Not much dude.

So if that has twin sticks like a rider than all my walk behinds have twin sticks like a ZTR. They are hydro's to.

Compares it some more.

Snapper uses similar desing and so does great dane. so does wright mfg.
  10. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

The only experience I have with the TTHP is my own 2002 36" w/ECS (15 Kawi). Raising the front of this mower is easy...just gently pull back and downwards on the grips while easing out the forward controls,,,and presto instant wheelie. I don't know the intricacies of the larger-deck versions, but the 36" TTHP has no problems getting the front wheels to come up with just the minimal of downward pressure on the grips. And this is standing on a Jungle Wheels 2-wheel sulky.

I love that machine. Easy to manuever, easy to load, cuts GREAT, requires minimal maintainance, plenty of HP for a hydro 36. SWEET!