Comparing two bids

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by laterno, Apr 3, 2007.

1. laterno

laterno LawnSite Member

Just wanted to get some of your opinions on two bids I have for installing a residential sprinkler system. I'm interested in your thoughts of the brands each contractor uses.

1. All Weathermatic parts
    -Turbo 3 Rotor Heads
    -4" LX Spray Heads
    -1" Electric Valves
    -08 Station Controller
    -3/4" Wilkins Backflow Prevention Device

2. Mixture of parts
    -Rainbird 1800 series turf spray heads
    -Rainbird 1800 series landscape spray heads
    -Hunter PGP rotary heads
    -Irritrol 2400T electric valves
    -Hunter Pro-C controller
    -Watts 009 backflow preventer

Thanks in advance for your comments.

2. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

numero dos

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Door number two

4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Yup - #2. Even with the 2400 valves :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

5. laterno

laterno LawnSite Member

That's what I kind of figured. The price for #2 was about $750 higher. However, the contractor for #1 said that if I had certain brands I wanted to use for each component, the price wouldn't change. He said their costs for different brands are only pennies apart but Weathermatic is what they have found to the most reliable.

Therefore, I'm thinking I should go with #1 and ask for a mixture of brands. Do you guys recommend I ask for any other specific brand/part that I did not list above?

6. Duramaxsle1

Duramaxsle1 LawnSite Member

Comparing brand for brand and the same application prices are very close. Don't just look at the parts but who is doing it and how, remember you get what you pay for. Find out why the difference is so huge.

7. laterno

laterno LawnSite Member

I have done research on both contractors. The both have been in business for 18+ years and have good standing with the better business bureau. Also, they were both recommended by friends who have used them and were very satisfied. Beyond that, I'm not sure how else I can compare them except to move on to parts/price/service costs. Is there something else I should be looking for?

8. Duramaxsle1

If the parts are the same style meaning rotors, sprays etc. I can't see it being in the costs of the product like the first quoter has told you. So look at how each of them will be doing the job and how long the figure it will take them. What about Warranties?

9. laterno

laterno LawnSite Member

Both contractors offer 2 year warranty on labor. The cheaper contractor will take 2 days to install and the other will be done in 1 day. So, there is really no difference b/c one day does not matter to me.

10. Duramaxsle1

Sounds like your getting hosed by contractor #2. Get #1 do change the product and your done!