1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Comparing Z turn lawn mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Clamp, Apr 24, 2004.

1. Clamp

Clamp LawnSite Member

I am looking to buy my first commercial Z turn lawn mower. I have been looking at the 52' Toro, Exmark, and the Hustler. Can anyone give me some advice on which one is the best choice. The Hustler seems to have the best price and the best warranty. Thanks for any advice.:confused:
  2. Bond's Lawn Keepers

Bond's Lawn Keepers LawnSite Member

I have been using exmarks mowers for the past 7 years and these mowers are the best built mowers you can buy. I don't know to much about the Toro and Hustler. I do know Toro bought out Exmark. But the Hustler i don't know to much about.
    Make sure you get the right dealer and the dealer knows how to work on these mowers. I use to go about 60 miles to buy and mower and save about $500.00. But if the dealer don't have a good mechanic the $500.00 is just a waste of time. I don't go that far now. I shop within 20 miles
  3. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

makes as good a Z as you will find.
    Better in many respects...
    my 2 cent worth

4. Advance Lawncare

Advance Lawncare LawnSite Member

We use hustler super z's and super mini z's as they best suit our conditions and our properties. They provide an excellent quality of cut, have a great warranty, and our local hustler dealer is excellent to deal with.

The exmark mowers are nice machines as well. If I didn't run hustlers, exmark mowers would be my next choice. But, for the properties we maintain, hustler's are our best choice for productivity and provide a very nice end result.

That said, you can't really go wrong with the machines you mention. See what dealer is going to work best with you, and decide what features that vary from mower to mower are the most important towards reaching your goals.

AND DEMO!!
  5. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

i dont see any scags on here ...thats good i sell exmark,hustler,dixie chopper get any of these mowers and you will not be disapointed
  6. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I got a Dixie chopper for lots of reasons, but a Hustler would be my next choice.

dixie 3.jpg
  7. Sam-Ohio

Sam-Ohio LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Just so Sawman won't be too awful disappointed ! Scag ! Scag ! Scag ! 52" Tiger Cub with the 24 hp. Honda ! FANTASTIC !

Seriously - the Exmark and Toro are so similar, and the Hustler is virtually at the identicle quality level - in fact they are all very good machines, so I would be looking closely at the dealerships that sell these machines, and weighing in their reputations for sevice also.

If the dealer is too far away for quick , convenient, service, it can be very expensive in lost time and extra travel expense to go an hour or two for service. The dealer should carry a large inventory of parts so you won't often need to wait for parts to come in. Ask about the dealers service policies concerning LCO's. Will you get priority scheduling for your machine in the repair shop ? This sort of thing can be more important to you than the very tiny differences in the "good" quality Z riders today.
  8. The Hokie Okie

The Hokie Okie LawnSite Member

I'm in the same boat you're in clamp and as far as I can tell Exmark,toro, and Hustler are the way to go in my opinion. DC's sit to high for me. I've got it down to those thee and now its time for a hard choice.
  9. Avise Lawn Care

Avise Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    from .

Buy a Grasshopper, what ever you do don't buy a Encore.
  10. GrassFearsMe

GrassFearsMe LawnSite Senior Member

I though my toro cut great and the vacum system was a great add on for the fall.