Comparing ZTRs

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by kalel, May 28, 2007.

1. kalel

kalel LawnSite Member

Hello everyone. I got a quote for a Mini Fastrack 42" with the 16hp Honda engine=$4200. I have a 1 acre lot, and will only be using this for residential use. Anybody have any experience with this unit?

Compared to this, the John Deere eztrack 425 is 4000.00. It is a 48 inch but has a briggs motor.

The home depot CubCadet 1742 is obviously less at $2600.00

The Hustler also has the EZT transmission, so is it worth the extra $1600 to get it? I definately prefer the Honda of the Kohler courage that comes on the cub cadet.

My other concern is that I am 6'5" tall. I was hoping to get a closeout 44 inch Fastrak with a spring promotion price of 4500 but my local dealer doesn't have any. The 48 is wider than I need, and doesn't come with the 700 dollar off promotion.

Thanks for your help.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The Courage engine is available on the Mini FasTrak also, it would get the price down a pretty good amount.
    Look at the build of the Hustler vs the units you mention here, they are stamped deck and frames, the Hustler is full welded construction, no stamping of metal here.
    What size do you want / need? are you looking for the best deal or are you limited to a size or $ amount?

Pj

3. kalel

kalel LawnSite Member

I guess price isn't the biggest issue. I just don't want to pay way more for something that is comparable in quality. I definately want a honda or kawaski engine (my current LT is a scotts with a kohler command, and I have had numerous problems (including getting the whole engine replaced under warranty).

I was hoping for something in the neighborhood of 44 inches, but that isn't offered in the fastrak anymore.

4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Ok.
    Have you thought about the 42" Mini Z with a 19hp Kawasaki? not to far from the price of the FasTrak series.
    If you really want a 44" unit we may be able to find one for you, let me know by emailing me and I will get someone looking into it.

Pj

5. brandonb

brandonb LawnSite Member

I recently bought a 42" MFT with the Kohler engine in it. Strictly residential use for my 1/2 acre lot. I looked at quite a bit and was about to buy a JD (family has a farm and we have purchased a lot of green equipment over the years!) till I found the MFT. Built quality is no comparison. Price fantastic compared to what you get at the JD dealer. So far I am EXTREMELY happy with the MFT and wish I had a bigger lot so I could spend more time mowing! The Kohler runs very well although I did not get a chance to compare it to the Honda, but I am very pleased. I've got the mulch kit, blowout kit, and mulching blades and the cut is great. I also got the hour meter which I would definately suggest for maintenance reasons.

As far as height goes, I am 6'5" and have no real issues with the size of the mower. I adjusted the control arms back a little so that they would not hit my knees when pushed foward all the way and that works out just fine.

You would definately have no regrets with the MFT.

6. kalel

kalel LawnSite Member

Thanks for your replies. I went to the dealer (quite a drive for me) yesterday and sat on the mft 42. I did like the machine, but when I sat on the commercial toro ztr right next to it, I realized that the mft seat was not nearly as comfortable (too short in the back for my tall body). I felt like it was hitting my kidneys. So, I ordered the fastrack 48 and the mulching kit. He said that he would recommend that gators on it. Do you all agree? I want the best cut I can get. I didn't order a blow out kit, but now I am wondering if I should have. Also, I forgot to ask him about an hour meter. Is that something I could install myself?

Thank you.

7. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Gators with the mulch kit will work well, just try and cut in as dry of conditions as possible.
    To my knowledge there is not a blow out kit for the 48 and 54 inch FasTrak's.
    The hour meter is very easy to install, it is pre wired for easy install, all you have to do is plug it in once you have it in the space it slides into.

Pj

8. kalel

kalel LawnSite Member

Thanks Pj, since my dealer is a bit of a drive, can I just order an hour meter directly and have it shipped to my house? Also, what is the msrp? If I am going to get one, it would make sense to do it at the very beginning.

Thanks

9. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Your dealer can ship it to you, we don't sell parts direct to the end users.
    Here is the information.
    Kit, Hour Meter, FasTrak part # 367656 MSRP $33.00