comparison pic

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by turf hokie, Jan 13, 2009.

1. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Just thought you guys would find this interesting if you were considering an organic bridge program

This pic is ours on the right with NON irrigated turf. The left side is a theirs and irrigated. I wont name THEM but they drive brown trucks. I dont know what they did or did not apply just the end result in the pic.

We applied 3 fert applications with one pre-emergent and 1 weed spray. This was after 1 season. We followed up with a winterizer for our 4th round after this pic was taken.

Just an FYI we did not even hit the recommended organic matter for the season.

Oh yeah, we dont cut the grass just happened to catch them there.

sidebyside1.jpg

2. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Very impressive !!!!

3. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Nah, that stuff doesn't work. :)

4. ted putnam

Barry, you're right, it doesn't work. :rolleyes: Nice job TH. Barry, you need to pat yourself on the back! By the way, thanks for the sample. I'm looking forward to trying it. It's definitely different than what I'm used to. The smell was no worse than most synthetics I've used. If so, only slightly. The biggest thing I noticed was smaller particle size overall and color. I'll have to "tinker" with calibration and have to really watch spread widths. It looks as though it will be harder to see while applying. I won't know for sure until I begin to use it. Thanks...and again, I'm impressed!

5. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Ted,

Which product did you get a sample of? On larger acreage and picky customers I tend to use the 16-2-3. I like it because I can see the prills a lot easier because of the sulfur coated urea. When you're using the 6-2-4 and 4-4-2 I have to watch for the prills to hit the blades....It's something you get used to.

6. ted putnam

Natty, he sent me a sample of the 16-2-3. Like you said, The SCU is visible and will help the visual for me by providing some "tracers" but it's still going to take some getting used to. It's very different from the predominantly white synthetics I'm familiar with. I'm thinking I'll purchase a spyker spreader and dedicate it to the organic product.

7. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

looks nice -- some credit to the mowers as well,
    wow no skid rings around the obstacles and
    are they actually using sharpened blades

8. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

That is awesome! I am looking into Barry's product as we speak!

Couple of questions though:

Are the turf types the same?

What is the age comparison of the two lawns?

Is the fert program really the culprit?

Here is the only reason I ask:

I take care of a bank and it is RIGHT BESIDE a drug store!

I don't treat the drug store's lawn but it is much older, and is PR and KYB. I seeded the bank 3 years ago.

The difference in the banks lawn and the drug store looks exactly like this and I have NEVER used and organic based product! It is a distinct line between the properties and the thickness and color is crazy different!

I don't think its as much about the product I am using as much as it just being a newer lawn and different turf type (which is TTTF). TTTF always does much better at the beginning of a drought but will still go dormant!

Not being negative at all, but as Paul Harvey says....and now for the rest of the story!

No matter what...grass will ALWAYS go dormant in a drought to protect itself. Drought is usually more related to moisture and soil types.
    Fertility although important, it is just part of the equation, as moisture is the BIG ONE! I don't see orgnic fert making that much difference in the two lawns personally, but can't wait to check it out!

What is the % of organic product that is blended with Sny to form a bridge product? Do you think that applying this product at 3 lbs/k will make that much difference?

9. Real Green

Real Green LawnSite Senior Member

I didn't know U.P.S. had a lawn care division now!?!?! :confused:

:laugh:

10. SLC  LLC

SLC LLC LawnSite Senior Member

Who is Barry nad how do I get ahold of him or ahold of anyone for additional information on this organic material?