Compensating Another LCO

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MOturkey, May 11, 2006.

1. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

I'm, at the present, a part-time LCO with a full-time job. I take my vacation each spring to turkey hunt in other states, and, have for the past couple of years, hired a friend of mine to take care of the business while I'm gone.

Without going into boring details, let's just say that it didn't work out too well this year, and it is obvious my friend really doesn't care to mow for me, although I paid him, what I thought, was quite well. We're still friends, but business is business, and I need to make other arrangements before next spring.

I always have the option of hiring someone else, and in fact, have someone else in mind, and he has indicated he would be interested in working for me. However, because of my past experience, I'm a bit reluctant to go this route again.

I have another friend who, along with a partner, also has a part-time mowing business, and I was telling him of my problem this spring. He told me that he and his partner would take care of the mowing for me anytime I needed to be gone, just let him know. They have about one full day of mowing for the both of them (he manages a family owned convenience store), so my 15 or so solo hours of work wouldn't overload them at all, and I know they do good work, so I wouldn't have to worry about the accounts not being serviced correctly.

Now, for my question. Have any of you ever had another LCO cover any of your accounts for you? If so, what did you work out as far as compensation? I realize this is going to cost me more than hiring someone, but making sure my customers are taken care of is more important, to me, than 3 weeks or so profit.

We both run Gravely's, so if they wanted to use my mower to cut time, then that would be another factor to consider. My accounts lean toward being mowing intensive, with little trimming, and since they are two of them, it would make sense for them to use my equipment as well.

Anyhow, any input on this would be most appreciated, because I truly don't have a clue as to what would be considered fair. Thanks. Neill

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

what ever you charge your customers goes to the other guy thats covering for you. He's doing you a favor and your not out anything except your money and if he's good he's helping you retain your customers

3. Quail Creek LC

Quail Creek LC LawnSite Member
    from IOWA

I used to be in the same situation that you are. I had a buddy of mine cover for me in the summer for a week or two every now and then. Give them everything that you would make off the lawns. This guy used my equipt and everything. Trust me its well worth it to give up a weeks worth of pay to be able to take time off. I pretty much screwed now being I'm full time with no one to ever cover me, so consider yourself fortunate.

4. sooner74

sooner74 LawnSite Member
    from UT

Give them all the money you would make. He is doing you a huge favor.

5. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

Guys, thanks for the input. I was wondering if this wouldn't be proper, but really didn't know. Neill

6. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I agree with Mac. Just make sure that it is someone that you feel comfortable with and that you can trust.

7. Quail Creek LC

Quail Creek LC LawnSite Member
    from IOWA

MOturkey, Maybe you should stop turkey hunting so much and then you wouldnt have any of these problems:hammerhead: I myself have a hunting addiction as well and it interferes with my busisness in the spring and fall. Mine is with duck hunting in the fall and turkey and mushroom hunting in the spring. Now being full time solo it has really cut into my hunting. Hopefully in the next year I can take on a part time laborer and then I can slip out more often:cool2: .

8. DistLawns

DistLawns LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

I don't think I would let anyone on my accts. unless I had a wedding or a funeral I COULDN'T get out of.

9. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

also, if you choose to give them all the money for working, make sure its a lump sum and don't let them know what you charge per customer just incase they wanna stab you in the back and low ball you.

10. Jay's Lawncare

Jay's Lawncare LawnSite Member

i agree 100%, too many things could happen while someone else services your accounts...Jay