compensating workers...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fga, Jul 5, 2005.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

if you are using a helper or 2.. and they show up on a given day. and you have to take off for whatever reason, unknown til that morning.
    you tell them no work today.
    do you throw them money (like $20, etc, for coming in)? lunch money?

2. SellOut

SellOut LawnSite Member
    from Zone 8

Obviously you don't have too, but if they're good workers that'd be a very nice gesture.

$10. $20 is to much! Ha Ha!

3. MowerMoney

MowerMoney LawnSite Senior Member

Labour laws in Canada state that if a worker shows up for scheduled work then they are entitled to 4 hours pay. It is probably different for seasonal employment though.

4. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I'd give them a couple hours pay, at least enough to compensate them for driving over and back.

5. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

I believe the federal laws say that an employer has to pay for a minimum of 2 hours if an employee is called in and that, therefore, is the policy of our company.

6. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Put yourself in their shoes. If I showed up at the appointed time for a day of work and it did not work out. I can promise you it would not happen again. Weather is one thing but other than that there is no reason

7. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I always tell my helper ( good worker ) in that situation that I will make it up to them on another job. But you gotta stick to your word or he/she will balk on ya.
    It works good for me and the worker will still have to work to get the bonus. I will usually give from $20.00 to $50.00 a paycheck extra in that situation and I will give them cash. No complaints from him at all.

8. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

If I'm understanding you correctly Adam, then my answer would be yes, in cash. Amount depends on how long they were suppose to work that day.

9. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

I don't run my business like. Work is work, and it gets done on schedule. The only exceptions would be a serious accident, stolen equipment, or a death in the family. I depend on my income for a living.

10. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

what if the guy(s) show up at 7:30, but the forecast calls for heavy rain within the next 2 hours? weatherman are not always accurate in their next day predictions, especially with time lines.

what if you wake up sick?

and for the record, most on here depend on their income for living. :confused: