Competent Employees Part 2

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mtdman, Jul 7, 2003.

1. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

As a take off on the original Competent Employees thread, how do you get employees to work for you 7 months outta the year and keep them year after year? My season only goes for 7 months with leaf cleanup. I don't do enough snow to hire someone, and even if I did, the winters are so crazy and unpredictable here that I couldn't afford to pay someone through the winter. How do you find employees willing to work 7/12 months, good employees that you can trust? Some of the guys I see on other crews look like they are one step outta the gutter, and that is scary. I wouldn't mind maybe starting to hire people, but I just don't know how to do it.

Thanks.

:D

2. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

Help them find jobs for the winter months if you can't keep them employed personally. They will appreciate it.

3. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Good Luck. If you "lay them off" in the winter, they could collect unemployment. The downside is, now they have to register at MiWorks! and put a resume online and go to job training classes. During this time, someone else may offer them a job. Another option is to do tree trimming during the winter or expand your business to include holiday decorating. That should get you through much of the winter. Another LCO that I know buys "fixer-uppers", old homes that need lots of work. He has his crews do the remodeling on them during the winter and turns around and either sells them or rents them out.

Mike