competing with the mercury vapor crowd

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by TPnTX, Aug 7, 2008.

1. TPnTX

TPnTX LawnSite Bronze Member

I have some friends and other contacts in the high end landscape business. These are "old money" areas of Dallas where MV is still key.

So I went to meet my friend today regarding a job doing some ornamental steel work.(a talent on mine that wont go away) anyways luck has it the architect was there. The job site is an older town home with a good size backyard. Lots of established landscape. I started looking around at all the lighting. There are some bollards being used, huge MV cans some of it up in the trees.

I suggested they rip all that out and let me install a quality low voltage system. I got their attention and they are interested and want me to demo. Not for the sake of demo'ing rather than to show them how much better it would look.

Funny how these guys in all they do, still are slow to come around to LV,

Anyway the next thing they brought up was downlighting. Surely you can't emulate what you get with MV in downlighting. After I told them "yes, actually I can" they took me to another job site. We're talking a real old money neighborhood with huge towering trees.

So I guess what Im getting at is that if you want to get in to these type neighborhoods where typically big money is spent, A you have to contend with the old school and B you are going to have to downlight.

So from way up there and for the full affect I should use a 50watt m16 with a 60 spread. And I should probably use a filter (green?) to emulate what they are used to seeing and then switch to blue to show them what it can look like.

Im willing to invest my time in this because Jay, my friend, gets good paying jobs from this architect. I want in. This job was quoted at 16k for the line voltage system.

We've kicked around the downlighting topic before but not necessarily in place of MV lights.

I actually have a guy working for me now on the Landscape crew that is an experienced climber too.

2. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

I would say yes, you'll need to go with the upper wattage lamps and use MV filters so they get the same effect. It still won't be as bright but that's better, I think. You also need to educate them about the fact that MV is being phased out and maintenance costs for those lights is going through the roof. They have already stopped production of the MV ballasts (though there are large stocks of them available) and the lamp costs are really getting high.

I know that the Dallas area is John Watson Lighting area and MV is all he uses. I just don't get why???

Good luck,

3. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

I compare the use of MH and MV HID lighting to using a 4" brush to paint a portrait.

I prefer to use smaller brushes and more brush strokes to produce a canvass that is much more rich, filled with contrast and depth of view.

4. TPnTX

this cast fixture looks to have a longer more narrow shroud. Has anyone used this or a similar design.

5. ccfree

ccfree LawnSite Member

Hey TPnTX,

I work in your market and yes you can get a close resemblance to what MV looks like. The green lens works great and so does the blue which I prefer. You might also want to look at Hadco LED which puts out a blue hue and is quite bright. The LED also lets you compete with the lamp hours of the MV. You get 50,000 hours from the LED. If you need any further info please let me know.

6. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

The CAST fixture is good and Kichler has one with the long cowling as well (15494).

7. TPnTX

oops this is the pic

cast tree light.jpg

8. TPnTX

Craig I sent you a PM

9. ccfree

ccfree LawnSite Member

I got it and replied, Thanks

10. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

dont forget he unique tree lights either... quasar 1 and lunar. The way they place the honeycomb louver out in front creates the least amount of glare out of any tree light I have seen.

Dont believe me ? Come take a tour for yourself on a propery and I will show you from 360 degree views and you tell me where the tree light is.