1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

competions customer list

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by olderthandirt, Aug 24, 2005.

1. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

What would you guys do if you were handed your competitions customer list ?
    It states what services they receive and how much they pay and the pay schedule -monthly or on a 12 month plan, the # of ferts etc. This company does not actually work in the same area as you but it overlaps your territory.
    The list has over 500 names and info on it. Its NOT TG/CL
    What would you do, because I just got the list :D I know what I'm going to do but would love to hear comments.
  2. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Way hell.i would take the high rode aproach lol.
    scroll down.

To my pocketbook lol ,is that a proper answer?
  3. dixiedemon

dixiedemon LawnSite Member
    from ky

i recently got a list to of an lco from another county he is selling out adn wants me to buy his yards why should i have to buy something that is not going to be his next year anyways and i already now what his service consist of
  4. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

Do unto others as you have them do to you, unless it's tgcl or scotts.
  5. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Could bite you in the azz.
  6. liquidforcedude7

liquidforcedude7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from america

Ive got a mental list im making for myself of the yards in my neighborhood that I might could get, haha
  7. MBDiagMan

MBDiagMan LawnSite Senior Member

I have actually dealt with this VERY situation in an entirely different industry. The competitor left his notebook on top of his car and swung out onto the road in front of me. It fell off the top of his car onto the median in the left turn lane. I picked it up, thumbed through it and handed it back to him personally the next morning.

I did not write down any names or anything, but I let him sweat when I handed it back to him because he knew that I was his competitor. I figure that the fact that he knew for sure that I had it in my possession overnight was enough to side track him for a few months.

You can call me a chump or whatever you want, but my ethics would not allow me to copy it or even memorize any contact names or numbers.

A man is no better than his handshake and his ethics.

Have a great day,
    Ol' Fashioned Doc
  8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

if you want 500 clients, and they are all on that list, do whatever you want to take them. successful businessmen are ruthless, the rest, are just lawnboys
  9. dixiedemon

dixiedemon LawnSite Member
    from ky

what is the list was given to you by the other lco himself
  10. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

I would probably direct mail all the ones I was interested in. I'm not into stealing business per say, but if they just happen to want to switch on their own, well ............. :)