Competition called me about price!%$#@%

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Daily Lawn/Landscape, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Daily Lawn/Landscape

Daily Lawn/Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Have you ever had your competition call you and ask how much you were doing a property for to bid against you? Got the call today and was floored at the question. Told him $100 per cut than what we were doing it for and told him good luck. That's one account I won't loose due to a low baller, maybe.
  2. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

My friend is an LCO as well and he is always paranoid about that stuff. I'm pretty open with what I charge but he is secretive. Sometimes price isn't even the factor as much as the customers first impression of you. Some of them expect a man dressed real nicely to show up for the bid, but its just me usually after already working 8 or so hours.
  3. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

they want to know how much i charge for a flat acre no trimming, i alwas tell them i have to see it, then they hang up.... call back later with an address to an empty property.....i just toy with them some......and i do let them know they where made at the first call.... how pathetic
  4. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Asking what you charge sounds like a typical post here from a new lawnsite member! Apparently many of them haven't mowed much grass before and have no idea what to charge.

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

i had one call and pretend he was a property manager at on of my comm. locations, only problem he called from his biz line and it came up on caller ID:hammerhead:.i had fun with that one.
  6. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

id like to think that if you went up to one of my clients house's they would just go i have somebody. It depends if its on a property i cut i probably wouldnt but i am pretty open. and i know alot of the bigger companys here they help me out and are good guys. i would return the favor but there not gonna call me.
  7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I always tell my competition what I charge.

I know I'm higher than them anyways, and I like to try to get them to raise their rates.

Most of my properties aren't going anywhere, at least the smaller ones.

I sell a service, not a price.

I'd rather they know that I'm charging $75+ per hour, than think that I'm charging $50 and they bid it at $45 to get it. I'd rather they bid it at $65, to get the baseline rate higher.
  8. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

he has a point if there gonna go some place eles because of money do you really want them
  9. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

22 - your charging 75/manhour for lawn care?

I charge 40/mh - lawn care

80-mh - landscaping

I used to call folks in the phone book just to pick their brains and get an idea of what i needed to be doing. Now i realize there are organizations for doing this, such as the local landscape association i just got an app for and am currently signing up with. Im excited about going to monthly meetings with the big cats in my area.
  10. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Correct. Lawn care. I do no install, other than small mulch work early in the spring before the turf is dried out enough.

Remember though, I'm a solo op.

I suppose if I had more guys running, that I could get more work with a lesser rate, but that doesn't work out the best either all the time.