1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Competition hiring mexicans, how do I compete??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SpruceLandscape, May 26, 2007.

1. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

There is a good mixture of small and large Landscaping and Lawn Care companies in our area. Problem as of late though is that I am finding more and more of the larger ones are hiring mexicans to work for the season. I know that they are paying these guys the absolute minimum, thats why they hire them. How do I compete on a profit/price level as a small company employing only myself and 2-3 part-time workers. Its tough to find anyone who is worth a damn, especially when you need to be able to trust them to show up everyday when they are supposed to, not be hung over, and know that when they are on a $12000 mower they are not going to be reckless. So, when I am able to find someone who I would like to have working for me, I have no problem paying them a decent wage. I personally believe that the better your working conditions and incentives, that (for the most part) the better employees you will eventually attract and retain. That being said, how do I compete with these other guys that are now able to low-ball because they have these migrant workers and still make the same or more profit than I can off the same job?? What do you guys/gals (trying to politically correct here.. lol) pay for wages to your better employees and new employees?
  2. DAV Mowers

DAV Mowers LawnSite Member

Call I.C.E. 1-866-347-2423.

If they are legal then fine, no problem and all is good. If they are illegal well it's no different than the companies not having a business license or insurance.

3. reread your statement, thats why they are hiring them , they show and want to work.
  4. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

Yeah, I get that part, thats why I posted the thread. That being said, how do I as a business owner compete with these companies now?
  5. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Find your own Mexican's, their work ethic is much better than American's. I am sorry to say this but the American labor force is getting lazier by the day. The statement you made about showing up sober and being responsible is something I have never had a problem with in all the years I have been working them.

Before they came along all I had was problems, there were 2 black people helping me and they stole my truck on Friday afternoon and sold all my tools and a stainless Ruger rifle for money to buy drugs. The sheriffs department called me at 1:00 am on Monday morning and said they found my truck in another town and wanted me to meet them. I went to where they were located and they had the people outside handcuffed at a mobile home of their friends.

I verified and made a list of everything that was missing to the best of my ability. They had sold a stainless Ruger 22 rifle with a composite stock and Leupold scope for $50.00, they told them who they sold it to so they went directly to that person and took it away from him.

I inflated the prices on the list I provided to the sheriffs about twice so they could present it to the judge when they went to court.

This is the funny part, they actually called me from jail and asked me to bail them out. When I told them no, they then said well you still owe us for a half days work on Friday, can you believe that?

The court would make them pay so much a month and then they would send me a check ever so often until they payed a full amount of about twice the value of what they stole. Highly intelligent dope heads wouldn't you say.
  6. Jeepster

Jeepster LawnSite Member

The situation is almost just like a Walmart moving into town and competeing with the mom and pop stores. It really cant be done.
  7. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

this kind of additude is what got us in this pickle.....

turn them in, AND if you know anyone at the local neswpaper, see if you can get them to write an articule about it... " this is what I'm doing "

CUSTOMERS can 1099 us... WE are contract labor, it's a tax decution.
    so in this case. that means they are THE employer, IF a person gets hurt on there proptery it's up to them to provide the insurance, "kind-of"
    well homeowners insurance will NOT pay off on this... so that leaves the homeowner personally responable, meaning a person can sue them....

so in the articule I'm having published clearly states that the home owner can be sued, and be fined, and be put in jail for hireing these types....

Just laying down and taking it is NOT the way to go.

the governer of Texas is a coward and he loves people like Jeepster
  8. Jeepster

Jeepster LawnSite Member

bohiaa, I couldnt agree with you more. My walmart reference kinda highlights whats happens when things like this takehold in your community. Its awful hard to fight things like that, for people allways gravatate towards the lowest price not thinking about the big picture.
  9. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I disagree. There are still plenty of hard-working americans, you just have to look harder to find them.

I'll interview 100 legal citizens to find one or 2 good ones before I ever hire an illegal of any nationality.
  10. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

Im with bohiaa and jeepster. They only hire illegals because they are willing to break their back for 7 per hour. Do you want to throw sod for 7 per hour? Because I know I dont! Sometimes around here we have to take matters into our own hands because the government wont do a thing about it.