1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Competition in my area - pics

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Liendeni, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Liendeni

Liendeni LawnSite Member

This shopping guide lands in my driveway about once a week, and I promptly throw it in the trash. I decided to open it up this week and see how many lawn companies were advertising in it. Let me remind you that this is ONLY the East part of town. This shopping guide is split up into four separate guides...one for each part of the county.

There are 20 lawn companies and 17 separate tree removing companies advertising in this one publication - many of the tree companies are also doing lawn care.

I know there are a few of you who are going to say your one answer for everything reply, "Quit B*tching and get out there and just mow" but I wanted to just "share" not "b*tch" what my local area competition is like....that's all. Nothing more. Just though it might be enjoyable to view.

2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Damn! Thats almost as bad as the paper that comes here...I am sure our town is smaller but I counted over 6.

Notice the one that says "Ed Murphy Landscaping"...wonder if his real name is Eddy?
  3. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

Typhical Florida...those pamphlets are a haven for lowballers to advertise.
  4. zemzabob

zemzabob LawnSite Senior Member

Quit B*tching and get out there and just mow
  5. Steveslawncare

Steveslawncare LawnSite Member

6. MatthewVersteeg

MatthewVersteeg LawnSite Member

Dude, I know what its like...

Here's what I did to kick the lowballers:

1. Run an ad thats different than all those guys. Isn't it funny how all of em are saying "Free Estimates, Affordable, etc." This is OK, but everyone says this. Gives no advantage. I'd offer a guarantee or a special coupon for your HIGHER PRICED service.

2. Definitely test these ads; sometimes they worked for us, sometimes they didn't. None of them could ever bring us the calls that our direct mail did though. We've had a really good thing going by mailing homeowners with a "special" mailing we came up with.

Yep, just do your thing; the lowballers will croak in time

-Matthew Versteeg
  7. KevinACrider

KevinACrider LawnSite Member

Let's see your 'special' mailing...
  8. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

I really thought the high gas prices would force many of these low ball operations out of business. I see more and more new ones every day. I would never start up a lawn care business now if I didn't already have one established.
  9. MatthewVersteeg

MatthewVersteeg LawnSite Member

Hey Kevin,

Here's what we're doing:

Mailing new homeowners to the area with a gift certificate to some of our services. Every other LCO is mailing zip code mailing lists (can work OK, but most of the time is a waste because not every one of those people is a good prospect). New homeowners= FANTASTIC prospect. Drives your response rate way up.

Give it a shot,

Matthew Versteeg
  10. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

This makes a lot of sense. Where do you get the list of new homeowners?