1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Competition Posing As Customers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pap4464, Oct 22, 2003.

1. pap4464

pap4464 LawnSite Member

I know i have read some post regarding this topic, but it happened to me today. I have a message on the answering machine today from "Tommy" and he would like to know what I charge for curbside vacuuming. When I returned his call I asked him a few questions like, "Did you see my ad in the paper?" and he said, "yes". Funny thing is my ad did not cover the area that he allegedly lives in. Second question was have you ever had this service before and he said, "no", but knew what specific kind of follow up questions to ask like, "Do you have a min charge for just showing up and is the rate per minute or hourly.
    Give me a Break! I told him an outrageous price and he said he would get with his neighbors and call me back. Nice try!
  2. Rich's Lawn Care

Rich's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

What do you charge for curbside? i was thinking about running an ad for this
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

OH NO..it's Tommy!!:D

Just joking Rich. That is a good question though, what do you charge?
  4. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

yes pap-please share what you rate is as I am in the market for this service (providing it that is)
  5. pap4464

pap4464 LawnSite Member

I don't put a price in the ad, I just let the customers know that we do both curbside and total fall clean-ups.
    I set a min charge and then charge for every 10 minute intervals. Every market is different in regards to price, but the area that I live in the city provides the service as well and charges $90 for the first 15 minutes and $20 for every 10 minute interval.
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

This guy PROBABLY wanted to use you for his cleanups! What's the matter with that? I've heard many people recently discussing the same thing,... contracting the vacuuming to someone. I don't see anything wrong with that, he could have given you some easy cash.
  7. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

with my vac set-up, I run a add for just that, sucking up their leaves, some people like to rake there lawns yet. LOL But if some local lco's wanted me to take care of their leaf hauling problem I would (tiedeman) LOL :p
  8. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

He could have known what to ask due to research and asking around to his neighbors, friends etc about the service. Perhaps he gets the paper or whatever you ad is in through the mail. I know my ad is in the local paper but it gets mailed all over the United States.
  9. pap4464

pap4464 LawnSite Member

Hey Runner,
    If that is the case why not be a professional and come out and say it. He never once indicated that was the reason for the call. Yeah he wanted some easy cash, MINE!
  10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

ahh..I see what your game is wriken:D So far no problems yet here.

I might give you a call up here in November, have some over on 8 Point that I could use some extra hauling trailers. Last year we had two trucks and trailers, and we still have to make trips back to dump. It was a major waste of time.