Competition while on an estimate call!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Trinity Lawn Care LLC, Mar 2, 2007.

1. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

How many of you have gone out to look at a property only to have other contractors there at the exact same time?

We had that happen today. We were schedule to go look at a property at a certain time. I pulled up to the property and their was another contractor and a real estate agent there looking the property over. I knew exactly what was going to happen. They were going to try and get the other company and us start battling it out right there for the job. Whatever LOL!!!

First, the real estate agent was a Foxtons so I knew right away that money was an issue. The fact that they had two of us come out at the same exact time, that was another dead give away. Competition, fine but I do not work like that. The property was overrun. It had not been maintained in what looked like years. They were trying to fix it up to sell it. Funny thing is I had driven by earlier when I was out when no one was there. Looks like maybe about $3,500 - $4,000 worth of work. Really depending on what they wanted done. Yeah, we might do it for $500 (OK). I wish them luck, but my company will not waste time with situations like that.

Has anyone else ran into situations like that? Sorry so long :)

2. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

whew.. I'd be pissed!

3. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

I never have but I agree with you and the poster above me here^^ I would be a little ticked. Would not play that game at all, I need work like the next guy, but don't need it that bad!:hammerhead: :dizzy:

4. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

been there dont that i laffed at the bimbo there was 3 of us that showed up we all knew eacher so it was kinda funny

5. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Now that is funny! I do not know this guy personally, but I do know that his shop is near ours. It must have felt like crap to when he saw me pull up right in front of the property.

6. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

I had it happen a couple of times It was a bit weird but hey its Business

7. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Agreed, go there do your job and give the estimate. I have received many jobs like that. Whether you see your competitors there or not, trust me they are still bidding. It's all a part of doing business. :)

8. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

id throw out a really high number so at least the other guy has fair shot, we're all in this together

9. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees LawnSite Senior Member

I had it happen this week I told them I didn't need to be there if they needed a cheap job that they didn't care about the quality, I could give them some names. And I left.

10. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

You should have stopped and walked around with them both. Then looked at the other guy and asked him if he really wanted the job. you said the job was about 4,000 so When he said yes, say "it's yours, i have to much work, but i personally would not do it for less than 5000.00" And say it in front of them both.