Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by matt321, Sep 27, 2005.

1. matt321

matt321 LawnSite Member

is the competition from the bigger chemical companies hard on a new small chemical buisness
  2. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

No not at all. However as you get larger and they feel you have a good share of the market they will seek you and and offer to buy you out.
  3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

not at all? that's pretty funny. i lost a client to blanklawn, based on this price- my price= 6,000 sq ft of turf. 4 ferts, one pre-em crab, two post em weed, one surface feeding insect control, one lime, aeration. $430. they left a flyer on his door, the same program, ADDING merit, and MANAGE, PLUS seeding along with the aeration, thier price $330. the only way they won't hurt you, is if you lower your prices down to thiers
  4. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

You will lose a few to price...but those are the customers you may not want any way. I have picked up a few from the big companies for more money b/c the customers were fed up with false promises and "we will have a tech out there tomorrow" lines.

I picked up a lawn --their price $90 per app 5 ferts, 2 pre-em, weed control as needed. all else extra. My price $125 same program, the guy didn't even blink started the next day.
  5. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I have finally got it thru my head that I don't have to compete with these guys. They can do their scam and blast on the cheap.

Today I got a new customer. I gave her an estimate and she had chinch bugs bad...real bad. Mega Scam Lawn came in and told her it was all brown patch (trying to sell her fungi apps) to boost someone's commission. This is standard practice and would happen regularly when I was there in the early 90's. I was told to just give them what they needed and be done with it. So they pay for a high $$ fungi and get insecticide.

Keep it up, fellas. I appreciate it.
  6. josh mcguire

josh mcguire LawnSite Member
    from ma

Tell me do you provide a better service than your competition? I hope that you do after all the huge companies are not known for there customer service. Let your customers know that they are paying for customer service not the product that you are applying. You can't afford to meet there prices nor do you have to beat them w/ quality. I know this works because for years we crushed Truegreen in our area. Then we sold out to Scotts and they lowered our prices go figure. However when we sold we had over 25,000 satisfied customers being serviced out of 3 branches all within 65 miles of aech other.

J mcguire
  7. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

actually, we used to pick up customers from that cape operation often.

not that you guys were a bad operation but you were big enough that trying to hire ALL quality people just gets impossible. Employee quality control begins to slip. Your company is only as good as the person running the route.
  8. Garth

Garth LawnSite Senior Member

Aye, but when a sma' jobbie sells oot some beggy eejit smiles. Dirty buggers, some o' those bigjobs.
  9. josh mcguire

josh mcguire LawnSite Member
    from ma

You may have picked up customers on ocasion but the funny thing is I don't know who you are and you know who I am. Funny how that works. No matter how good you are you loose a few customers. However we were leaders in the Industry for Customer retention. Just rember "there are always dogs out there picking up table scraps. I however enjoyed the whole meal."
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Josh, without a doubt, you were at an admirable size. I'm glad to meet you and look forward to talking to you in the future. We have an operation around here that is going to be about that capacity. He is well over 15,000 customers right now, two locations, and working on a third. He has our county about wrapped up and I believe is outdoing biggreen. About every job I am getting is being serviced by this company. His quality DOES suffer some, but overall, for what he does, he does well. He has all his numbers in place and loses more each year than what I do EASY. His marketing is hard to keep up with. They are calling on ALL the businesses, so many residential - including ex-customers, and on top of that, have salespeople who are selling the stuff for way too low. I have talked to people who have had his salespeople offer about half the price of what an acre should go for. I can't even compete with that, but I sell the account on personability and service (not to mention better product). It is when these sales people do this, that corners start getting cut. The techs show up getting credit for only approx. 25-30M when they are having to do 50. Like I say, THIS is when the corners get cut, backyards start getting skipped, and so forth.
    Anyway, I would just like to say welcome aboard, and I am sure there is much to learn and talk about with you. Thanks for joining.