Competition

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by beck, Oct 28, 2000.

1. beck

beck LawnSite Senior Member

This morning as I was out mowing I saw a little girl putting flyers on doors. Here is what it said.

NEED HELP

Hello! Our names are blank and blank. We are trying to help you. You sit down and relax and we'll get to work right away! During winter we shovel snow, and sing songs, during spring we do household chores, during summer, we mow the lawn, and during autumn we rake leaves. We do household chores anytime you want us to! We are both 10 years old, but we are really good at work. Phone numbers . . .

2. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

And your worried?

3. beck

beck LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe I should have said "Competition"

No I am not worried.

4. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Banned

That's great for those kids. That's exactly how I started. I think it's fantastic that the kids have that work ethic and ambition already. And yeah, what are you worried about? Their range can only be as far as they can walk and push a mower anyway.

PS. It's "and you're worried?", not your.
    Your is possesive, in other owrds, it's yours, it belongs to you.
    You're is the contraction of you are. As in " and you are worried?"
    I am only trying to help here, not be condescending.

5. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

I have a little whipper snapper in my hood that drives a craftsmen ride on that pulls a trailer with a push mower, weed eater, and broom. Evertime that I pass him in my Ford F250 Power stroke diesel, he looks at me with a serious look.

Now that kid worries me.

Beck,

I know that you aren't worried about them and your just bring up a cute little story. I didn't mean it in a dirogetory way, but just funny little question.

6. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Its not the young kids I worry about. Its the bigger kids, the college kids who think that they can hire a buddy for $7 an hour, no training, and undercut everybody in the neighborhood because they dont need insurance, dont need to pay taxes, dont need a pest license heck they only doing it for a couple years til they get that degree, by then the neighborhood is convinced that the professional is trying to rip the customer off, heck junior and 9-finger joe could do the lawn for half what you want when they were in business...

7. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

We all realize we aren't perfect spellers and we all don't use perfect grammar, but we do learn from each other, just the same. I am a good example of not being a good speller and using proper grammar, but a few here have learned something from me too. Please don't make the members feel like they have to be perfect to post here.

If you look at your above post on the line under PS, you will find that you make mistakes also, just like us. So what, I figured out what you meant. As you wrote on another post which part of it got edited out,

"I usually don't agree with what Mr. Stone has to say, but he's right on here. Learn how to spell. If you don't know a word, look it up, it's called a dictionary!"

I have to read every post on here so it is hard to fool a fool. Practice what you preach or quit preaching. BTW, I did find other typing errors on your posts, like alwys for always. I admit I'm not a good speller, now it's your turn.

8. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Most of us younger guys started out that way. The ones you should look out for are the ones who have a serious look, or seem to work passionately, those are the ones who you maybe competing with down the road.

9. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Banned

To ELM,
    I'm not trying to say anyone has to be perfect and I never said anything about typos, everyone does that. However, to present yourself (not you specifically) as a professional to your clients you should be able to spell correctly and use decent, not perfect grammar. I really don't mean to sound like an a hole, I'm sure it does, but it looks like you don't care or are not the smartest if you can't spell at all. (again, not you personally) Anyone that can use a computer and run a business can open a dictionary. People always talk about scrubs and professionalism on this forum. Spelling and writing like a fourth grader is not professional. That's all I'm saying, and maybe I should have said it that way in the first place.

10. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

Lawnboy11,

Let me tell ya. I am not cracking out the ol' dictionary everytime I post. When I read posts with spelling mistakes and poor grammar, doesn't mean they come off in an unproffessional manner to their own customers. This is a forum of landscapers and people trying to make extra money cutting grass. We don't know anybody here personally, so it is very hard to judge someone by their misspellings. If your an english teacher and moonlighting as a lawn cutter, than fantastic. If you want to correct my grammar then e-mail me and I might take your suggesstions into consideration (maybe not). When I compose a letter to a client, I do in fact read it over and correct what I feel is wrong. When I post here I do make misstakes and don't feel I should be scolded by my own peers.

I agree eric........