Competition's aeration price

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by tamo, Feb 5, 2008.

1. tamo

tamo LawnSite Member

Browsing craiglist I found two guys on there who straight copied my ad word for word. I figured I'd get a little something for free from them so I emailed both of them for an aeration quote -- 2000 sq/ft, no obstacles, and I asked what they included in their package.

One guy never got back to me, and the other said $425.00 and mentioned they fert and mow over the plugs but nothing about overseeding. Am I way off or is that quote way over priced? I was pretty stunned to get that response from competition. The most I've gotten for an aeration is $180.00 and that included overseeding. From archives I thought most guys on here were right about that price too.

How insane is $425.00? He must get some people at that price, maybe I need to bump my price though I have had people tell me $125.00 was too much for them to pay.
  2. jdmcat

jdmcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

for just aeration we charge $130 for 2000 sq. ft. plus $25 to flag sprinkler heads. if they want the plugs raked up the price doubles. usually we try to sell aeration and power raking together, that way the power rake breaks up the plugs. that would be $325. that price includes over seeding any bare spots.

sounds like that guy is just trying to find a few suckers.
  3. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

I keep flyers from comptetion.

From a VERY large company, they even have their own nursery.

$35 each yard, 5,000 sq ft.

It's Actually $45, but then you get a neighbour then you both save $5 so it's $40 each, get another neighbour and you all save $10 and it's $35 each.
  4. ACA L&L

ACA L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

$105.00 for our standard 2-3000 sq ft. Powerake is 145.00 for 2-3000 aq ft. I will not rake up the plugs, if i ever do that i will prabably be in a bad spot and charge alot!!:laugh::laugh:

5. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Hey if some of these outfits can pull off monster Hi Ball charges then more power to them. All that much more work for me with my $120 aeration min fee for a small lot. :laugh:

I'm much more concerned about low ballers like these guys prices start @ $39.99 and drop from there :hammerhead:
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I sense a joke somewhere, but I fail to see the humor because I'm not entirely sure of the reason thou if I had to guess it would be along the lines of why would you place an ad without knowing your prices?

With that in mind I still don't find it too amusing, but I can kinda see it.
  7. tamo

tamo LawnSite Member

Huh? Not following that Topsites.

Exact Rototilling I agree, more power to him if he can get that price. I'm just stunned that anyone could pay $425.00.

I imagine that if someone agreed pay $425.00 and then you show up and the job's done in 25 minutes the customer would be pretty surprised.

I was just wondering if anyone else is able to push the price that high.
  8. magland

magland LawnSite Member

$425 for 2000 sq ft. That would be nice. Almost doesn't make sense for that small of a lawn. If you can get that, let me know, and I'm moving to your city tomorrow. I'll lowball the bid for half that and be happy. There would be 5 guys begging to do it for $25 around here. Aeration prices are dirt cheap in Nebraska. Check out these prices.
  9. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Interesting...Aeration takes a three times as long than to mow at least and you can get it for half the price.

I thought residential mowing is bad.

No wonder in all the years I did residential, very rarely did anyone go for aeration.

My pricing was $200 up to 7000 square feet and $40 for each additional 1000 sq ft, PLUS overseeding.

Generally aeration and overseeding a 10,000 sq ft lawn would be billed at around $500
  10. magland

magland LawnSite Member

That's it. I'm moving out of state. I'm tired of the low ball prices here.