Competitors are destroying my signs!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by malik6075, Jul 4, 2006.

1. malik6075

malik6075 LawnSite Member

Hello Everyone,

I am in New Orleans and the infrastructure is still not back to normal. Many people are still dislocated or living in a trailer parked in their driveway. I purchased 100 yard signs in late May and posted them around the city like many other tradesman are doing to get business.

However, I must have really unprofessional competitiors because they have removed/ "stolen" the majority of my signs. My new customer calls have dropped drastically!! What other advertising can I do for moderate cost!!

Thanks in advance!!
  2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

doorhangers.....mass mailing(if the mail system is working right there)/.....word of mouth should help you as well
  3. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

i dont know how well mass mailings actually work...the company i work for sent out 5000 postcards/coupons for septic tank pumping...they only got 70 calls back.
  4. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Put your signs higher! I bring a latterwith me and put it 9-10 feet off the ground.

5. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

Around here signs are taken by renegade home owners trying to keep their blvds clear of garbage.
  6. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats pretty good call back, average anyway.
  7. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

70 calls would be a great response. We're lucky to get 5 calls sending out 5000.
  8. mjohnson1

mjohnson1 LawnSite Member

same here too
  9. malik6075

"5 out of 5000 mail-outs" with the mass mailing effort. Please help me see the pros and cons.

5,000 mail outs times .39 cent per letter = $1,950... you would need to cut plenty lawns to pay for this out of your overhead? (Granted: post card mailing probably is not the full 39 cents..)

What companies do you use to mass mail and how much is it?

Please help!!
  10. malik6075

who do you use for door hangers and mass mailing?