competitor's employee dies in such a tragedy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by danlawnser, May 17, 2008.

1. danlawnser

danlawnser LawnSite Senior Member

Keep the family of one of my competitors in your prayers. here is the link
    This boy was the crew supervisor over 4 crews fulltime mowing crews. I never would have imagined it would have been him. He was definitely a professional. Things can happen so quick. 2 weeks before I put a mower in the same lake about 1/4 of a mile from where this took place but I lost the mower over rocks not a wall. be so careful. This made me stop and think how important insurance and workers comp is. I am so glad I got it but for those of you who are running around on the seat of your pants you need to start thinking about this stuff accidents can happen to anyone
  2. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

3. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

i bet if the roll bars were up that wouldnt have happend
  4. Toad

Toad LawnSite Senior Member

I think about this all the time when up on the lake. There are some steep drop offs with water way deep over head, you wouldnt even be seen in the water. One wrong move of the sticks and you know what.
  5. pondfishr

pondfishr LawnSite Member

My heart and prayers go out to all involved.
  6. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

sometimes it better to get the weedeater out, I have been in that situation before trying to get as close as I can to a retaining wall. My prayers go out to his family, sounds like he did not drown
  7. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

I think there are many of us operating these riders where death is close by and we don't even realize it.

One example, I've been mowing this one lawn since 2001. After all this time it finally dawned on me that I could get killed if I go over this certain embankment. It's 7 to 9 feet high with high weeds providing some stealth to this death trap. If I were to go over, I could be pancaked on the next property's driveway (no rollbar thing).

I just wasn't paying attention to the danger involved in that one small area :hammerhead:
  8. bard

bard LawnSite Member

Think about R.A.D.A.R

R-Recognize the risk
    A-Access the situation
    D-Develop a plan
    A-Act on that plan
    R-Report the situation-to make sure you do not forget how you handled the risk safely for repeatability.

This will make you take a minute to stop and think what the surroundings are and WILL save a life; YOURS.
  9. CFB

CFB LawnSite Senior Member

Sad. I'm sure it could of been avoided. This stuff happens every year. I don't really bid on stuff with slopes but if I do I bid high and take my sweet time to do it safely. Almost had an accident with a WB where I slipped turning on a hill and it was falling back on me. I learned then...Don't take risks.
  10. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

It makes me upset that the bulk of the article is about whether or not this will effect Dale Jarrett's racing, who gives a turd! Some poor guy died, did he leave behind family, or kids? Who knows? Evidently, people are more concerned with what will happen on the racetrack. It is like we are still in a cast society and one of the serfs died, who cares? so long as it doesn't effect the lord or lady of the manner.