1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Competitor's fliers and lowballing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by conepile, Mar 12, 2003.

1. conepile

conepile LawnSite Member

In my mailbox today was a flier for lawn service and prices based on lot size (1/4, 1/3, 1/2, and 3/4 acre), and the prices were so low, I actually considered calling them. They claim to charge only $25 for cutting, trimming, and blowing 1/2 acre.

The way I see it is, instead of me cutting mine for a loss, I can pay them, and use the time I gained to earn revenue at another location. This also ties them up in a $25 job.

I'm just being facetious, but it really pisses me off, since I charge more than that. When people publish blanket prices on services, people expect everyone to charge that way. Never mind that some yards (like mine) are trimming and clean-up (I have a pool) pains in the a**. I wouldn't touch a yard like mine for less than $45. It's almost worth it to pay them to do my yard. Philosophically, it just seems wrong for someone else to cut my yard. What will my neighbors think? I'd never be happy with the results. Besides, wouldn't it be funding the competition (or would it be speeding up his demise)?

What do you folks think?
  2. Husker1982

Husker1982 LawnSite Senior Member

$25 for a 1/2 acre is about right. If you get $45 I am coming there to cut with you!
  3. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I'm with Husker. $25 for 1/2 acre is the normal here, well you probably could get $30. I'm just an hour south of you.
  4. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

we get around $45 for a 1/2 acre, but we only get around $60 for a full acre. I try to keep with the 1/4 acres for $30.
  5. Matt'slawncare

Matt'slawncare LawnSite Member

25-35 is about the right price where i live in the midwest, but thats all we can get.:angry:
  6. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Good advertising tactics get perspective customers on the phone. It is very possible that when someone from that company goes to that property and gives an actual quote, some additional charges may be added for terrain difficulty, excess trimming, etc.. By that point, their foot is already in the door. Obtaining the opportunity to quote a lawn is 75% of the battle, selling from there can be the easy part if you are good at it. Everyone is quick to assume what they do not know, based off an ad in the paper. You do not know the outcome of their advertising and their final bid process. It's called good marketing tactics. Whether you agree or not at this type of procedure, it is proven effective.
  7. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

I'd make a complaint to the local Postmaster. It is illegal to put such in someone's mailbox. I found that out at the age of 17 when I did some advertising for myself.
  8. juststarting023

juststarting023 LawnSite Member

$25 for a half acre is about right for my area also, i won't stop for less than that so anything up to a half acre cost them at least that sometimes more for alot of trimming..:confused:
  9. michigangrass

michigangrass LawnSite Member

I was also putting out flyers today and taking a browse at the competition.

These guys in SE Michigan are offering $15 per 1/2 acre and others offering first cut free AND free front yard aeration.

Next it's going to be flyers "Will work for food"!

Sometimes you just want to hunt these suckers down with a baseball bat. They're completely screwing up the local market.
  10. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

;) That's in the ballpark where im from also, Southern Indiana, unless you have a half acer thats real rough then i tack on some extra for the slower time.........Marks Mowing Service