Competitor's price

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by philk17088, Feb 4, 2003.

1. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

I'm curious to know if any of you are tempted to look at a competitor's price and plan when it's hanging on the door when you are out giving estimates in the spring? You know, you get to the door and there is 3-4 estimates already on the door. I've been tempted to but can honestly say I haven't looked...yet!

2. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

I will, but I always quote my own price. I am not intimidated and I do not doubt myself.

It's just good business smarts to know your competition.

3. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

I stick to my program and price but I wonder if these guys are noting stuff like compaction,poor soil and other factors that all the fert in the world ain't going to cure.
    P.S. I hate leaving stuff at the door, I'd rather do the estimate with the customer on the lawn so they see what I see. It's also harder to say "no" to another human being than it is to throw away a proposal.

4. xpnd

xpnd LawnSite Senior Member

I'll readily admit that if there are quotes on the door you bet I look and take time to read it carefully. Unless it is in a sealed envelope, I figure it is free game. I never believed there was a patent on originality and they may just teach me something. Knowing what is going on in the marketplace is an integral part of our job and contrary to popular notion, there is no honor among thieves. At least in your area, it sounds like your competitors do not remove someone else's bid. On the other hand removing bids is down right nasty. In my area two start up LCOs became very unpopular very quickly because they would remove anyone else's bid that may be present when they arrive. I called and several other LCOs called and told these two characters to knock off this crap or else. It's hard to keep your bid on a door when you pissed off over a dozen other LCOs in the area with these cheap tricks. (Infrequently I'll do call backs on those estimates I drop early in the morning to ensure they received them. If not, I'll ask who else they called and whose estimates they received. I'll do another estimate but also call the other LCOs to see if they did an estimate and when and give them a heads up that the potential customer only had one estimate that did not blow off the door or crawl out of the mailbox. It's not hard to pinpoint who these guys are after several identical occurences.) Competition keeps everyone honest but sometimes cooperation on certain issues such as the above is better.

6. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Looking at others quotes seems a little like privacy invasion personally. That quote hanging on the customers door isn't yours, nor do you have the right to look at it. Maybe someone should stroll by when your trailer, or shop door is open and just look through to see what you all have in there, how'd you feel about that? Probably pissed. I've been in business two years and just by giving estimates and talking to the customers, I know where my pricing is compared to others. Not too hard to figure out. Also, as stated before, I know my costs and price accordingly. I tell people up front I will NOT be the cheapest. Sell your service and company to them, not the bottom dollar.

7. Curiosity is human nature.

8. Nebraska

Nebraska LawnSite Senior Member

It's tough to do a lot of times but I always try and find out when they are home...that way I can meet them personally, explain the program that we are quoting, and be assured that it was placed into their hands not in the door. When it's impossible to meet with them we put it in a sealed envelop or have been know to even mail it. Always follow up with a call.

9. excel25

excel25 LawnSite Senior Member

We always do ether a face to face or mail !