1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Compettion took my Flyer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Holloway Lawns, May 18, 2001.

1. Holloway Lawns

Holloway Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I was putting flyers on doors today and went down one side of the street then came down the other side well, at one of the homes on the first side I went down there was a crew of 3 about to start putting down sod at one home I still put a flyer on the door and when I came back down the other side I seen one of the guys reading it. I went on down the road then on my way back towards that house were they were putting sod down I stopped there and seen my flyer trashed and in a wheal burrow. I asked them if they were worried about a little completion they did not answer. I asked if they do maintenance and installs they said just install I told them so why did you take my flyer how will it hurt you I am offering maintenance not install's. One of them said sorry and went to put the flyer back on the door. I said no I will put a new one there. I do not want that trashed one put there I have a better image than that. How would you all handle this?:blob3:
  2. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

Not real sure i would have put up a flyer beings there was company there working, its kinda just askin for some beef. But you never know i may have, i think you handled it very well, i bet you earned there respect to a point, it also gives them a professional image about you and your company to a point. There is so much work out here i wouldnt let little things like that get to ya!! Keep up the good work!!

3. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

A couple of years ago,in an exclusive sub-division, while talking to a customer in her yard after finishing mowing, this truck pulls up at the curb. This young guy jumps out and walks up to the homeowner and starts asking her who does her yard Etc., etc. Good Lord, I'm standing right there!!!! Man, this guys got some walnuts. Anyway, the homeowner gets kinda ticked off with him and tells him that I do her lawn and she doesn't need another service. Not being phased, he goes on to ask her who maintains her sprinkler system. Talk about a salesman on steriods! Strange, but true.
  4. George777

George777 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Holloway Lawns, I think you did the right thing. I like how you stood your ground. Who knows you may end up cutting that lawn in a few weeks.
  5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

When we passed out door hangers for the first time this year, if we saw anyone that even remotely resembled a lawncare business, tree business, landscape business, we passed that house by. So many houses out there that passing by a couple a houses was no big deal to us. Why take a chance of invading someone elses turf?
  6. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Did you know whether they did maintenance before you put the flyer at that house? I would guess "no" since you had to ask them. In that case, I think you should have passed that house by.
    How would you have felt if you were working on a lawn and along comes another company putting a flyer on thier door while you're standing right there? Pretty ballzy if you ask me.
  7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

My personal opinion is that its kind of cocky to put a flyer right where someones working. after you left they probably went down the street and took them all.
  8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I would have passed it, maybe in a day or two drop one by.
  9. Holloway Lawns

Holloway Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

This company that was there showed up right at the time I walked to the house but any way they only do installs no maintenance so I did not see a problem with putting my flyer there. My flyer's are offering maintenance and hedge trimming services not installs. Thanks for every ones view on this.
  10. i am kind of thinking that you should have passed by that house as well. i tried putting out fliers and found out that they are not worth the hastle. i just go by word of mouth and that is it, well that and being known in the area. if you see somebody doing work at a house, leave them be. you never know, it may turn around to bite you in the butt one day. i mean if you had a customer who you do a lot of work for, and they got a flier in their mailbox while you are workin there and they turn around and use that guy, wouldnt you be pissed?