1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Complete Home Makeover .... PICS!!!!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by TheLawnShark, Jul 24, 2007.

1. TheLawnShark

TheLawnShark LawnSite Member

Well everyone, I need your help and I need it BAD.... I had a guy ask me to completely redo the landscaping on his house. He told me that he is NOT on a tight budget and to install whatever it is that I feel should be done.

I would like your help if you do not care as what to plant and install. I will be building a retaining wall on the right side of the house that will go down the slight hill and then along the side of the house. I will be installing lights to light the flagpole, go around the pool, and most likely around the entire house. I was planning on laying mulch, but red lava rock may be a good choice as well.

I hope to hear from you guys and take in all the expert advice that I can.

2. TheLawnShark

Here are just a few more pictures... Remember, he told me that he wants everything taken out and all new, "updated" stuff put in.

3. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

#1.....don't use RED anything......no red mulch, no red rock

Tear out the wall around the flag pole, its an eye sore. Also the concrete edging, trash it......and all that white stone.

Look up these plants......and don't plant one here and one there, do massings.

Nandina 'Heavenly Bambo'
    Boxwood 'Green Velvet'
    Otto Luyken
    Echinacea Purpurea -Purple Coneflower
    Nepeta -Catmint
    Miscanthus 'Gracillimus'
    Pennisetum 'Hamlin'
    Crape Myrtle
    Creeping Jenny.......use on the wall around the pool
    Winter Jasmin........same as ^ ^ ^

There's a start......we can't tell you what to plant and how, its your job. Look over these plants and you will basic startup. Always use ODD numbers. Play with curves and lines, ignore the current bed lines. How about some boulders?

Nice combo would be (5) Otto with (3) Nandina 'Firepower' in front with some Nandina 'Heavenly bamboo' on say the right with a Viburnum on the left and a Redbud behind or in front of the Viburnum. Do a mass of Liriope in front of that and you win.

Oak Leaf Hyrdrangea is a plant I really like to.

Keep in mind you want plenty of evergreens so that the plants don't disappear in the winter.

*I can not stress enough.....MASSINGS.......flood it. Don't do 10' between plants.
  4. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Just give me a check for 40k and it will turn out like night and day. Seriously if you are asking for FREE designing, good luck. But if you really want it to come out nice get with a landscaping designer, pay the couple hundred bucks and go from there.
  5. TheLawnShark

I appreciate the input so far. I am not asking for a free landscape design. I am just asking for suggested plants or ideas for this project.

Here is my situation:
    I am in college right now and maintain about 30 properties. I am a landscape design major but will not start taking classes for my major for another year. I feel like I may have to cough up the couple hundred bucks and get an actual design drawn up, but I am not asking that from you all.

I hope to hear more advice. Thanks!
  6. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

You cough up NOTHING. Go to the customer and be like "hey I've got this designer/architect that has been recommended to me and I wish to use them for your design. Though it is my major I have yet to have the opportunity to grasp landscape design. I am however very capable (I hope) and interested in installing a design that suits your needs. To have the designer/architect design a landscape for you costs $300. Some more blah blah blah and I look forward to working with you". You get the idea. If they charge $250 for the design make it $300, its called being the middle man.

Or just approach it as heres what the design costs blah blah blah without the excuses......depending how well you know them. BTW, you still need a budget.

Where you go'n to school?
  7. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

What does "not on a tight budget" mean. You need to get a true number for them not a tight budget might be 5k it might be 50k. Or just throw a number at him like 15k and see what his reaction is.
  8. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Start with the big picture and then work toward the details that support that big picture.

Look at the house and how it sits on that property. What looks odd and what you can do through landscaping to correct or minimize those things. Then look at what is good about the house and how it sits on the lot and what you can do to enhance those things. Do the same things for each area of the property in your mind and then on paper.

Look for awkward situations and conflicting activities or ways of making things that should connect actually connect either figuratively or physically.

Plant selection should start with what form (size and shape) that is being used to affect the landscape. In other words, don't start with a list of plants and find places to put them. Start with a job for the plant and then finding the right plant to do the job. There is nothing wrong with having a pallet of plants that you like to use like TT has given you. But, use them because they fit the job you need done.

Form follows function. Alot of time this excercise is so intuitive that you don't have to over think it after you do it long enough. But that process should at least be working on a subconcious level. As a student of landscape design, you should be thinking about every reason that you are doing things as part of your learning process.

Look at the house. What is the biggest thing that you might be able to affect? It sticks out like a dog's b@lls. Who sees it?
  9. TheLawnShark

You all are most certainly right!
    I will not be paying anything out of pocket to get a design drawn up -if that will be required. I will speak with him here in the next few days and find out what kind of 'not so tight' budget he is on. The house is right on the corner of a subdivision so it definitely stands out.

Little things like pressure washing the fence, and concrete patio and sidewalk will also make a difference in this as well.

I really want to make the pool area more "lively". It is so dull right now that it is almost enjoyable to be out there!

Thanks for all the input so far!
    (I am at the University of Tennessee)
  10. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

Why does everyone go right to the retaining walls? What are you trying to retain? Give plants a try in groups of 3 or 5....mass like nature does it. Look at a natural woods line for inspiration. The best known designers use walls only when they have to. I happen to be on a weeping hemlock kick lately.