1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Complete property maintenance?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by OutdoorExtras, Feb 23, 2006.

1. OutdoorExtras

OutdoorExtras LawnSite Member

I'm just getting back into lawn care after trying another business for a few years (Could not stand being inside all day:) ). Does anyone think there is a market for a complete property services company? What I mean is would small/mediumsized commercial accounts be interested in having one company handle the mowing, snow removal, window washing, office cleaning, parking lot sweeping, etc. I have experience in just about every aspect of these services and was thinking that much of the equipment requirements overlap and the services could be combined at times. I could also keep a list of dependable contractors such as electricians, plumbers, etc. to subcontract if the work was beyond my experience level. Any thoughts?
  2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

You may want to advertise as just saying complete property maintenance as you don't want to make yourself sound like the handyman of the neighborhood. Like, i wouldn't put on my list of services, mowing, mulching, window washing, etc. stick with one thing for that, if that makes any sense at all!!
  3. OutdoorExtras

OutdoorExtras LawnSite Member

No that definitely makes sense, I would not want to come off as a "jack of all trades" type of service. I used to do a lot of work for small apartment complexes and offices and they were always asking if I knew someone who did this or that. A lot of the owners were just too busy to spend time calling around and getting estimates, that's why I was thinking that a service to handle (either in house of subcontracted) all the the day to day property maintenance issues may have an edge.

CURBAPPEAL NC LawnSite Member

if you have capital to buy quality equipment for each service offered then go for it. But, I started with three services Lawn Care, Pressure Washing and Painting which was ok but had to settle for alot of non-commercial equipment in order to get the things i needed for three services. I wish I would have used my money to start one service with quality commercial equipment and then build the othe services onto it with the same. Offering more services did help a some but, Lawncare is more in demand here in my neighborhood.
  5. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Those types of services are very popular here not only for commercial but for estate homes as well.
  6. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

Seems to me you could advertise as Property Management. Just sub out what you can not do, don't want to do, or don't have time to do.