Complete Property Maintenance

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by troblandscape, Oct 24, 2003.

1. troblandscape

troblandscape Guest

Does anybody do all this.......
    Complete Lawn Care
    Power Washing
    Driveway Sealing
    Gutter Cleaning
    Deck Maintenance
    Tree Service
    Clean-out and Hauling

A complete on stop shop for all property exterior needs,.. I think that providing all of these services would make consumers very interested in the fact that they only had to deal with one company, to provide all of these services, and to provide the new homeowner with a consultation on what kind of exterior maintenance their property will need..... What do you think!

In my area new developments are going up all over the place and I am brainstorming on how to capitalize on this.

2. Charlie Sierra

Charlie Sierra LawnSite Member

I think that is a very good idea. I have done everything you listed except driveway sealing and a buddy just bought a pressure washer so I am going to get into that (do not forget grafitti removal with your pressure washer $$$!).

The one stop shop approach is an exceptional way to service out of town landlords or property owners. We get mowing and gutters from these people as well as a bit of pruning. Often, these jobs are easy to get because the customers are sick of paying people to mow once a week and then find that the vendor is only coming once a month because nobody is there to report otherwise.

Junk hauling is a must if you own any sort of truck at all. Cleaning out houses for people's estates or people moving is very lucrative and you would not beleive the wide selection of free tools you end up with! I have dozens of long handled tools making me a pile of money and I did not pay for a single one of them. When you tell the hauling client that you can also watch the gutters and cut the grass until the place sells, they will love you forever.

Regards,

William

3. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I do something kind of along that line now. I act as the property owner's agent and sub out the work that needs specialized equipment such as driveway sealing, tree removal, etc. The owner doesn't have to deal with getting things done and I don't have to buy a bunch of equipment that I'll rarely use.

4. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

The thing that will make you or break you is whether it translates to greater earning power, or just more equipment bills with the same gross sales.

Let's say you are mowing 26 weeks of the year, have yourself and two helpers, and twenty thousand dollars worth of mowing equipment with a service life of about three years. If you only mow on thursdays and fridays (48 man hours) you are having to dedicate $5.35 per man hour toward paying for that equipment (not running it, just paying for it). If,instead, you mow three guys at 40 hours each per week, you are only dedicating $2.33 per man hour to pay for the equipment. That is $3,700 clear profit per 26 week season more that you will make on thursday and friday alone without doing anything different on those two days.

If you continue to run a three man crew doing more services using more equipment to round out a 40 hour work week, the only thing you will do is have more to manage and more overhead. On the other hand, if your mowing equipment is maxed out and you can hire additional people to keep the new equipment operating at close to capacity, it would make sense.

There is no sense in paying for equipment to increase services, if it does not net more money. It is easy to get hung up on a high hourly gross for use of a particular piece of equipment, but if another piece is idle you are only fooling yourself.

How many companies do you see with only three or four guys, but enough equipment to outfit four full time crews? Plenty, but are they growing or just surviving?

5. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Add moss control on roofs in you handle gutters.

Thats something requested out here by some gutter folks.

Several window cleaning companies handle gutters and moss control along with windows.

In Oregon, a license with the Construction Contractors Board is needed if chemical treatements are done to a roof, or if pressure washing is advertised, or pressure washing is performed on a structure.

6. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I started out doing everything. After 3 years the business, the lawn and landscape aspect has taken right off. All other services are refered to other companies. I found a good niche and i am working only that. The niche being one neighborhood with 30 accounts.

7. ManleyLawn

ManleyLawn LawnSite Member

its great when you are first starting out to handle all those services. but what happens when you grow and you have employees.. you will have to teach them all how to perform all those different jobs and up to your standards. see when i started out i would do anything and everything for my customers but now with the amount of grass cutting and landscaping i don't even have time to scratch myself. :)
    one lady in peticular wanted a shed tore down and i did it when things slowed down a bit but sometimes its really hard keeping it all straight.

8. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

A guy a know by the name of Clay Bitler here in Richardson, Texas has a company like that. Called Clayton Bitler Service Company. The guy is making a killing on what he does, and he does it well.

9. GardenTech

GardenTech LawnSite Member

Don't spread yourself too thin, though. FFshuter has done it right, we use to do " anything for a Buck" and found it more than we could handle...as the Biz grew, we found what aspects were the most profitable, most requested, and the most FUN and we Specilized...Good Luck!

10. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Plase folks re-read Agla post, all the time he took to try to educate all of us and no one is listening.