Complete Renovation to Lawn

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by clallen03, Sep 12, 2006.

1. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

My lawn right now is full of dallas grass. In between the dallas grass there is a bit of fescue, bermuda, centipede, and crab grass. I have come to the conclusion that I want to completely renovate it an go with all fescue by seeding it. The only problem is I have never done it before and this is were you'll come in.

I have a 2.5 gallon jug of Prosecutor Pro and I going to kill off all the grass. Now I need to know what to do from there. Any advice will be great.

Thanks in advance
  2. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Fescue is tough in Georgia without irrigation unless you are well North of Atlanta.

Seed around late september and do everything possible too get iot as healthy as possible by next summer.
    Use any type of sprinklers possible too keep it cool next summer and pray.
  3. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

You need to have the best possible seed bed you can for the seed.
    First kill all the grass. Then regrade, add topsoil whatever is needed. Aerate or till the ground to lossen the soil up. Seed and fertilize and lime if needed. Keep it watered.
  4. clallen03

Here are some pics. The close-up show the infestion of dallas grass.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Don't know where the weeds came from but they will probably be back. Why not deal with the weeds with msma and weed-b-gone. This can be used on bermuda which would be a better bet unless you have a lot of shade.
  6. clallen03

What do you you'll think about this?

Spray it and wait two weeks, spray again and wait two more weeks. Scalp lawn, clean dead clipping, core areate, seed, fetilize and water.
  7. Terra-Scapes

Terra-Scapes LawnSite Member

I'm in the same boat with one of my accounts and it's in worse shape. It's 35% fescue and 65% weeds. The yard is mostly shaded and I'm not exactly sure were to start as far as overseeding this fall or what seed will grow well in the shade. I want to take care of the weeds, but not change the soil chemistry to the point where it will inhibit growth.

Here are a couple of pictures of the front, side, and back yard:

Copy of PICT0605.JPG

Copy of PICT0606.JPG

Copy of PICT0607.JPG

Copy of PICT0611.JPG

Copy of PICT0612.JPG
  8. ATL Lawn

ATL Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

9. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Sod would only be a temporary solution.
    No yard will make it here forever without proper care.
    We went close too 10 weeks without rain In Atlanta .
    Fescue no matter were it comes from cannot handle those conditions without irrigation.
    It has too be irrigated correctly also.
    That yard presents problems for sure.
    Fescue can be established now with both seed and or sod but getting it through next summer is the problem.

St Augustine is about the only other choice as far as shade goes.

Heavily aerate or lightly till the yard and over seed with Fescue.
    Fertilize and keep watered.
    Most weeds there now will being dieing soon.

If they are serious about a Fescue yard then Irrigation would be my first step.