1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Completed first hardscape/landscape project

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by hardatworknc, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Well we finally finished our first major hardscape/landscape project. The house looked horrible when we showed up. Holly bushes running along the front of the yard, a chain link fence, bushes scattered throughout the yard, tree stumps and clumps of bushes that had grown together along the front of the house. All in all we removed 3 1/2 tons of yard debris. Had the whole yard grinded to get rid of the rootmat and then regraded the yard so the water would run away from the house. Because of the height of the yard off the sidewalk, and due to the other trees in the yard, we opted to build a foot tall retaining wall around the yard. We then laid St. Augustine sod. Planted a couple of white angel azaleas (big in the Wilmington area, home of the Azalea Festival), and a yellow lady banks rose on the side of the house. Cleaned up and laid gravel along the side of the house and the driveway. Nothing too crazy hard, but just wanted to see what you seasoned veterans thought about it. Feel free to tear us apart or whatnot, constructive criticism is always good.

2. here are some more

3. and here is the finished product

4. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

Very nice! you did a great job! How long did it take you?
  5. It was about a 2 week project. But that was b/c of weather, coordinating time for the guy to come out and grind the yard, get the city to mark the water lines, order and get the sod in, and we were also doing other various jobs around the property. Painting, sanded and restained the front door, odds and ends here and there.
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

You did a good job but the mow guy is going to kill you.....
  7. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Next time spend a few minutes cleaning up for the pics (ex: garden hose, stuff still in the street, etc.). Looks ok. It's gonna be a PITA to mow. But go back and take a few more pics, it will look good in a portfolio to show other clients.
  8. yeah the mowing is going to be done by the owner, which will probably end up being done by us. We will just have to see.
  9. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

That's funny, your right:laugh: looks good you need to get a yard sign out there so people going by can see who did it. you need a truck huh?
  10. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

That's the first thing that went through my head.:laugh:

I hate yards with no divider between mulch and grass.

I hate sidewalk blocks placed on gravel.

I hate those cheap plastic lights... one time I deliberately put one through my snow blower. You can't trim around them without knocking them out of wack.

But I bet the home owner was very happy with the transformation, it was a pretty brutal yard before.