1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

completed my first install

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by skurkp, May 5, 2006.

1. skurkp

skurkp LawnSite Member

Just finished my first install today. I started on Tuesday with four guys, four guys on Wednesday, three guys on Thursday and two guys today. Just how long should it take to complete a job. This was 8 zones all sprays and 80 heads. Rained very hard yesterday afternoon and made soup of everything. I still figured only two full days with four guys and boy was I wrong. I did learn a WHOLE LOT from this job, like how the pipe should be run. It was totally different than what I designed it to be. I was s o mad at one point that I said I don't want to ever do this again. LOL. Just a big learning experience and hope that the next one goes faster, I have three more to schedule in, with the maintenance work it makes it hard to get them in if it's going to take this long.

2. JeffY

JeffY LawnSite Senior Member

Just curious, what was it that caused it to take so long? Tree roots? Tons of hand digging? Were you using a trencher or plow? Just seeing where the time could have gone.

3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

80 sprayheads?

I've never installed a job that had that many sprays that wasn't something like miles of median strips.

You couldn't have used rotors in any of the zones?

4. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I've done it on a residential before because it had four shrubs zones, was a corner lot so it had a lot of front sidewalk area, and a couple other small areas...

it is a PITA... and it does take a lot longer obviously than if the zones were rotors