1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Completely impressed with Exmark Front Runner

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tallimeca, Jul 29, 2006.

1. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

We were shipped a new exmark front runner, 60 inch deck, 27 Kohler, on Friday. It was going out to a local Housing Authority. They have a lot of rougher grass they cut, and this seemed to be a perfect machine from what I know of it, rather than a Lazer. Alot of placed they have they have to climb curbs and some tough spots.

They guys assembled it today and I took it for a test ride. Usually I never go and cut with someone's brand new machine, but where we have never assembled one, I wanted to make sure everything was working fine so i brought it over behind the shopping center next to us and tried it out. We call it Area 51, haha. You name it, it's there. Manicured grass, tall grass, weeds, rocks, gravel, drainage ditches.

I was REALLY impressed with this unit. The electric deck lift was really nice. The snap a couple levers and it will actually raise the front up in the air so clean out and change blades. The machine handled really well, especially in the ditch. I was in wet grass, cutting no lie, about 2ft tall grass. No bogging or nothing. If it was a lazer, it would have been stuck for sure.

These do run the ultra cut decks, not the tritons.

I think chaging from the more agressive tire to a turf tire would make this machine a real nice unit for everyday cutting if you don't need to bag.

As a dealer, I don't cut much grass everyday, but I do have a chance to cut with alot of different machines. This was the first machine that i've been able to cut this area with........ever.

If you are in the market for a machine like this, contact a dealer for a demo if they have one. Like I said.......it's impressive.
  2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I think thats why they like the upfront Grasshoppers around here. Rough area's, banks, ditches, etc.
  3. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Grasshopper front deck is the most versatile machine, period. I've ran a front runner and it is crude compared to a Grasshopper. On a front deck, you do not want to run turf tires, then you are no better than a mid deck.
  4. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i've never run a grass hopper, or any machine of this style.

What I meant about turf tires is that this machine could be used on......normal, if you want to use tha phrase , lawns as an everyday mower, not just rough stuff. But definetely would not want those tires on there.