1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Components for winterizing.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PerfiCut L&L, Aug 8, 2010.

1. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Winterization is when ya bill out $95,000 in six weeks of real easy work.

2. JayinMI

JayinMI LawnSite Member

That is the truth!!!!! :drinkup:

3. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

Geez... I ought to move North for a while just before you all come South for a while:laugh:

4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

We don't have many boiler drain set ups before the backflow. It doesn't meet code here. There are some in place like that though, since there is minimal enforcement here. Usually I see them after the BFV. Or a tee with a plug in it, remove the plug, hook up and blow. Or.... here is comes........ wait for it......... just use the testcock like I have to do on probably 60%-75% of the systems out here.

5. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Doesnt meet code here either. If the plumbing has to get inspected , we put a plug in and replace it come first blow out.

6. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

We install quick-couple valves just downstream of the bf, the key is left attached to the compressor hose so we can "show, blow and go".

7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I want the blowout valve to remain open all winter, in case the indoor shutoff is not drip-tight.

8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

There is still usually a drain valve at the shut off in the basement or at the elbow going up into the BFV. And I prefer it to stay open as well. Sometimes it's a boiler drain sometimes not. Sometimes the threads are cut off to make it un-usable, Sometimes it's the little thumbscrew cap at the shut off or on a cast ell or coupler, as this makes it meet code (even though someone could theoretically still hook up to it if they tried hard enough).

BUT - then when the valve is left open, and the lame gate valve doesn't shut off, then I get a screaming customer asking why there is water all over the basement floor. They insist it's my damn fault.

9. Some Sprinkler Guy

Some Sprinkler Guy LawnSite Member

Wow!

How much do yall get for these, and how long does it take?

Now I know how you all survive the winters.

10. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Ours start at $85.00 for a dinky, which takes around ten minutes. The larger systems all have remote capability and can take a half a day and cost $400.00 and up. When we winterize, each zone is inspected for leaks, breaks, ect. and noted in a field report for winter and spring work. We love winterizing, one time we put it off because we were so busy with installs, it was in December and was freezing when we fired the compressor. The sun came out and the mist from the heads froze into crystals. It was drop-dead gorgeous! :clapping: