Components for winterizing.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PerfiCut L&L, Aug 8, 2010.

1. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L LawnSite Senior Member

By doing a winterization, I would assume open yourself for liabilities should anything happen during the winter. What sort of complaints do you guys here mostly come spring, and what do you do to help prevent from being liable should a line break during the winter?

2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

The one that I get the most, is when a homeowner shuts it off themselves from the inside, and then we blow it out when they are not home. If the HO does not drain it on the inside (and if there is no exterior drain before the BFV) then sometimes there is damage to the copper before the BFV. Sometimes I just take care of it (or roll it into a start up fee) and sometimes I tell them they are SOL.

We always leave exterior valves, manifold and mainline drain valves, and testcocks in the open position. Then some folks turn it on themselves and don't realize that water coming out of the valves is because we left them that way. Then they expect us to come close everything back up for free.

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

It is a problem on systems without proper drains, because everybody can do everything correctly, and water can leak through a faulty system shutoff valve to collect and freeze outdoors.

4. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Thats my main reason for not putting a draw off inside.

5. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Thats why I always leave boiler drain open. Put a note on the invoice that if they see water coming out of BD , DO NOT SHUT IT , call us and I will replace shut off. Also provides another weeks work at season end.

6. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

10,000 feet of heat tape and a lot of extension cords.

7. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

A lot of spring complaints are when customers let their grass cutter mess with the sprinkler system . Oh yes you can be liable for a bunch of problems if you dont winterize properly . The same if its a poor design , you can eat lots of time and money redoing a system if it doesnt perform correctly.