Compost blending pre-application

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by JDUtah, Apr 24, 2009.

1. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

How much more labor intensive is it than his system is now? He's using a 2 car garage or something right? Doesn't sound like he's taking up a lot of space. For most of us it's not feasible, but doing it with compost or tea apps could be very feasible and profitable. This wouldn't be just lawn care related, but ag, tree, golf course, etc. as well.

2. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

I have the option to blend ferts specifically to a lawns needs... the shop guy can blend however many different mixes that I need the day before I need them. I can pay my shop guy 25% less money than my certified fert tech...

The problem I had was that two customers didn't unlock their gates. But that 'problem' led to lessons learned. :) The lawn wasn't burned and the greening response is comparable so far.

IMO pre-blending gets even the mineral ferts into the biomass and OM exchange sites a lot more effectively than an application of one on top of the other.

I think Barry avoids the problem I had by removing more moisture before blending and packaging. Below 10% moist is a number that I once heard helps avoid molding (microbial activity) I think Barry pelletizes the blend as well? (before of after mixing I am not sure)

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds alot like innoculating char... my question is - what happens to the urea if it goes through the composting process, or sits in a pile?

4. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Wouldn't the same thing happen as other forms of N? The microbes store it in the compost? Apparently some is lost to atmospheric reasons but the rest would seem to "disappear" and be stored untill needed...

5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Assuming it has entered the N-Cycle, if it is not taken up by microbes (i.e. microbial biomass), then per the N cycle it should gas off as N2

[​IMG]

6. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

thanks for the pic maybe its more clear now................

7. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

Question... do the nitrifying bacteria available for ponds and aquariums contain de-nitrifying bacteria, or just nitrifying bacteria?

8. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I agree,good picture... so what do we do to slow the process -from -nitrification to - denitrifiation?

Plants can use NH4+ , so how can we utilize that form, b4 it goes Nitrate, NO3-? It appears more volatile at the NO3- stage. Is that true??.

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I suspect once it enters the nitrogen cycle, the only thing you can do to slow it down is to slow down the bacteria.