compost calculation?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by beachtownlawnservice, Dec 15, 2011.

1. beachtownlawnservice

beachtownlawnservice LawnSite Member

How much compost will i need to cover a 1.5 acres at 1/4 inch?
    I called around to a couple of suppliers and they are recommending 100+ yards. Is this right? seems a bit much to me. both places want $31-$35 dollars a yard . but will give me a discount if i buy this much.

2. Duffster

Duffster LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

No offense but can't you do basic math?

3. beachtownlawnservice

beachtownlawnservice LawnSite Member

thanks for your 2 cents duffster.
    I posted 1/4 inch. but they want 1/2 inch, after i aerate which i read will make a difference in the amount we are to put down. I'm coming in at 101.yards just seems like I'm over calculating something? or missing something? seems like a lot.

4. Duffster

from Midwest

1.5 acre is a lot.

101 yards is right on the money @ 1/2"

5. jcr4au

jcr4au LawnSite Member

For 1/2" take the sq footage and divide by 640. I got 102 yds doing that.

6. Duffster

from Midwest

Why 604 and not 648?

7. NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

8. Duffster

from Midwest

9. NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Well an acre is 43,560 Sq. Ft. or a Rectangle area of 100 ft. long x 435.6 ft. wide, so if you plug these #'s into any landscape material calculator with his depth at .50" thick it comes out to 67 Yards per Acre, Yeah that last calculator I used had a different #, and was obviously incorrect. So for 1.5 Acres x 67 Cubic Yards/per acre x 1.5=the final answer would be== 100.5 Cubic Yards roughly

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  10. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Unless you're on sand I wouldn't bother about 1/2" of compost to begin with, unless you're doing a major overseeding event...

There is a point of "Diminishing returns" with compost as with most other things... It really doesn't take a lot to get your soils going in the right direction and I would speak plainly with the client about that...

Otherwise you're talking about $2000.00 dollars just in materials , correct??