compost for brewing tea and a ?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by humble1, Feb 9, 2008.

1. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

Okay i understand you need compost to brew tea. I am not interested in making compost or trying to obtain some locally. I am More interested in buying bagged product that has consistency and has been tested.
    Is this something i can do?
    Coast of maine offeres a lot of compost products.
    Vermont Compost?

Lastly people mention that you need to test. Are you testing the compost or the finished tea. If its the tea how do i test it and if i have to wait for results wont it go bad?

2. Gerry Miller

Gerry Miller LawnSite Senior Member

3. humble1

from MA

Thanks But what about the question on testing?

4. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

5. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

If you mean vermicompost, we ship pallets nationally.
    Bio-assays will be available within a month.

6. Gerry Miller

Yes, all are tested by SFI Labs.

7. humble1

from MA

I mean do i onlytest the compost, or do i have to test the finished tea?
    How could i wait for the results if it is the tea, it would go bad before i spray it down right?

8. Gerry Miller

Yes, you won't know about your particular batch of tea unless you test it. That's why I found the best course of action was to use products that have already been tested for you, like with the KIS brewer and food kits and compost kits. It will still be different than their tested results, but it gives you a pretty good idea if you are in the ballpark or not. But this way you don't have to spend money on tests. I can tell you that by using the KIS brewer and supplies, I have had great success.

If you are going to build you own brewer, then you've got lots of tests needed to see just how good your brewer is performing. It's not rocket science but it's not that easy to build a good brewer.