Compost in Hbg PA

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by ras5952, Mar 21, 2008.

1. ras5952

ras5952 LawnSite Member
    from Hbg PA

Hello. New to this site. Like it! My question. Anyone know where I can get compost in the Harrisburg PA area? I'm talking compost not mushroom soil. Also with a 12000 sq. ft lawn haw many pounds would I need? Thanks all.

2. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

ras5952
    Welcome to the site we are glad to have you. There are a multitude of posts on compost and appliation rates, please review all of the great info on here and ask a bunch of questions

I believe 1 to 11/2 yard will cover approx 1000 square feet at 1/4 inch depth, someone please correct me if I'm wrong

3. ras5952

ras5952 LawnSite Member
    from Hbg PA

Thanks Bill for your input. You're right. There are a lot of threads on here re. compost! My problem is finding it. Our township has a landfill where residents take leaves, tree limbs, plants etc. and grind them up into a dark brown "soil". Would this be considered compost? Also am I posting in the wrong area? This seems more for lawn care pros then just for a "weekend warrior".

4. ICT Bill

We don't care, ask away. The local landfill is a great place to start, they often don't compost long enough or hot enough, maybe you can talk to them and ask them if they do any testing.

Leaves that haven't been composted right can bring some disease issues with them, but its a great place to start

5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

If your local compost is not of high quality or "finished" you can finish composting it yourself. :)

6. ICT Bill

I don't know if any of these are near you or not, This comes from the US composting coucil, so these locations test their product

PENNSYLVANIA
    Laurel Valley Farms
    705 Penn Green Rd.
    P.O. Box 640
    Avondale, PA 19311
    PRODUCT: Bagged and Bulk - Spent Mushroom Substrate Compost, Blended Topsoils, Professional Growing Media, Custom Blended Products
    TEL: 866-LV SOILS
    FAX: 610-268-8601
    EMAIL: Jdinorscia@laurelvalleysoils.com
    2 STA products at this location

Philadelphia Water Department
    7800 Penrose Ferry Rd.
    Philadelphia, PA 19153
    PRODUCT: Bagged and Bulk - Biosolids compost
    TEL: 215-685-6248
    EMAIL: William.Toffey@phila.gov

Or these guys

Organic Endeavors

391 Mountain Road

Dauphin PA 17018

Email: Jim@digmyearth.com

7. ras5952

ras5952 LawnSite Member
    from Hbg PA

Thanks for all your replies. Bill. Avondale is quite a distance for me. That is the "mushroom capital" of the east. Organic endeavors is about 20 minutes from me. I have to give them a try. Thanks!
    BTW. Would you consider spent mushroom soil the same as compost?

8. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Laurel Valley Farms MAKES very nice products and they have a very nice setup that is under cover we have used there soils with great success.

9. ICT Bill

You should ask any company that you are buying compost from if they test or do bioassays on their product.
    The issue with mushroom soils is that they can have very high salt levels, they are typically sterilized before use and can be biologically dead. Be cautious with mushroom soils, ask questions first and ask for documentation.

Good finished compost is alive and has a great diversity of beneficial microorganisms