Compost or seed blanket cover?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by harryhomeowner, Apr 9, 2004.

1. harryhomeowner

harryhomeowner LawnSite Member

Last fall I had my driveway repaved, the result is a driveway that is 3" higher than the lawn. My driveway egde is 300 lineal feet.

I recently spead a few yards of compost & topsoil to level the area out, then topped with seed and straw with very limited results. You know, birds, wind blew straw around and dried out soil, maybe I wasn't a diligent in watering as I should've been.

My question is should I spead more seeds and cover it with the compost and straw again - OR - spead the seed and use a seed blanket.

The seed blanket runs $10 for 20' or in my case $150!!!

2 yards compost $50, 3 bails straw = $20

What would you do?
  2. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

Personally I would just go with the seed again and probably forgo the straw. One thing you may want to consider first however, is tilling the soil about 6 inches deep. This will keep there from being a layer of extremely good soil on top of so-so soil. The plant roots may not go deeper than the 3" of top soil & compost if you don't, as they will like the top layer much better than the underlying soil.
    In Texas I was very successful with Bermuda seed just by throwing a starter fertilizer down, then the seed, then watering the heck out of it.
    Good luck.

3. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

you've got to water it on a regular schedule.
  4. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

Correct. I should clarify my statement of "water the heck out of it". You need to keep the ground wet. Don't let it dry out.