Compost Piles

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Clapper&Company, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Ohio

How many guys have compost piles?

I'd like to start one with leafs and shrub trimmings ect, what do I need to do this the right way??

2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

3. tadhussey

tadhussey LawnSite Senior Member

First step.....are you interested in vermicomposting (worms), static composting (let the pile sit for a long time), or thermal composting (using the biology in the pile to heat up and process the material in a relatively short period of time).

I would recommend doing thermal composting, though it does require that you have a thermometer, and turn the pile at certain intervals. You should be able to find info. on the links provided by Kiril.

4. Gerry Miller

Gerry Miller LawnSite Senior Member

10% high N, 40% green, and 50% woody

If you use alfalfa as the 10% high N, you cannot include that 10% as part of the 40% green

0.1 cubic yard of alfalfa,0.4 cubic yard of green lawn clippings, coffee grounds, green vegetable material an hay cut green in the previous year, an 0.5 cubic yard of brown leaves, sawdust and wood chips.

5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

6. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

If you have the room... make It big....here's a tip...drive or drill 4 fence posts in...wrap it with chain link fence...keeping the front open...make it good and wide that you cand get a skidsteer in there to do the flipping:waving:
    Cheers
    Daner

7. Green Man Enviroscaping

Green Man Enviroscaping LawnSite Member

I do composting at home, and when I move on out to a commercial location (as soon as fiscally possible), I'll be reserving space to start a larger pile there.

I'd rather encourage every one of my customers to compost on site. I also offer compost bin/pile setup as a service.

8. tadhussey

tadhussey LawnSite Senior Member

I really like the idea of setting up the compost pile or bin for your customers initially. With that help, and a little instruction, you could really get them into making their own quality compost. Great idea!!!

9. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

I've seen a couple people take this to another level
    Basically you get paid to take it away (leaves, branches, etc.) and you sell it back to your customer and get paid to apply it.
    The circle of life is a wonderful thing

10. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

This Is what I use to turn my compost

compost flipper.jpg